Need new Radar Detector recommendations

There are a few roads here that narrow down to 2 lanes, but it's mostly

4 lanes, and the interstates are 6 lanes at times, even.
Reply to
Muggles

Oh bite me ass hole

Have you ever seen scenes in movies where men on crotch rockets race through heavy rush hour traffic? That happened one day on my way home from work. All I saw in my rear view was one motor cycle weaving through cars behind me and then it whizzed past me. I didn't notice the

3 other crotch rockets behind the first one until they sped past me weaving in and out of rush hour traffic. Scared the (blank) out of me. I was sure I was going to drive up onto an accident in the next few minutes.

Another time I was coming home from work in heavy traffic, and I was stuck in the far left lane and traffic wasn't going up to speed in any lane. I couldn't change lanes and this big pickup truck got behind me. The man driving it decided I wasn't going fast enough and decided to pass me on my left on the narrow shoulder and he nearly side swiped me because he was only inches from me as he was passing. If that wasn't good enough for him he nearly hit the front of my van when he jumped in front of me. CRAZY PEOPLE do stuff like that in rush hour traffic.

Another incident happened in the morning on my way to work. Some nutcase was in the middle lane and I was in the left lane. They were driving erratically and I moved a little more to the left as they were coming up on my right. As they passed me they tossed a full large fountain drink in a plastic cup right at my front windshield shattering the cup and it's contents on my windshield. That time I nearly had an accident.

Some people don't give a flip about safety, or speed limits, or even if their actions could kill someone else. They just want to go fast.

Reply to
Muggles

Brilliant response, brilliant. Probably the same attitude you use with the cops. Enjoy your tickets.

Reply to
Idlehands

Ass hole.

I complimented him. Told him I grew up around cops and although I did not know exactly what they were suppose to and that he did a good job and that at no time did I fell my safety was in danger.

My beef is with sleazy politicians, not the cops

I learned a long time ago that it is best to let these folks "win". Then they go blasting past and I am in safe territory again. Well, safe, in that I get the ticket and they don't.

Wanting to change lanes, I learned that if I speed up and they race me, to race just a little with them, then brake and they have just cleared a nice wide open spot behind them.

:-)

Can't say, I haven't had a speeding ticket in 30? years.

The last time I got pulled over the officer came to my window and said "sorry, I don't have a reason to pull you over. I didn't see your license plate. My mistake. You're free to go. Have a nice day." It was still a stressful interuption to a date night, but we got a good laugh out of it.

The last "valid" time I got pulled over (35? years ago) I forgot to put the new tags on my car. My bad. I had them in the glove box, so the officer just said to put them on and sent me on my way.

I keep waiting for the day I get pulled over for holding up traffic, but so far it hasn't happened. :)

My car is so old, I probably get extra credit just because it's still running. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I'd rather get out of their way, but sometimes there's no place to GET out of their way. Lately, I've been trying just getting in the middle lane behind the slower semi's. That seems to work pretty well, so far.

Reply to
Muggles

How old is your car? Mine's 18 yrs old, but I've only been driving it for 14 years.

Reply to
Muggles

And it is signed. If you can't follow the signs, that's your problem.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

SLEAZY---POLITICIANS: A tautology to be sure; like wet water, cold ice, round circle...

My favorite slogan is the one about politicians and diapers both needing to be changed regularly...and for the same reason.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It's a 1976 Rabbit, so it just turned 40 this year. :)

I bought it used about 28 years ago:

It's getting really rusty these days (just like me), but still gets me where I need to go.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Or just drive at 25 and you'll be safe all of the various speed zones. :)

Sometimes speed zones don't make any sense. When I was a teenager I got a ticket for doing 50 in a 35mph zone. It was a deserted straight stretch of highway in an industrial area. Yeah, I was speeding, but I never understood why the limit was so low out there when there's nothing around.

I also got pulled over one night after midnight on my way back from a date with my girlfriend. The interstate was empty, not another car in sight. I was driving in the left lane because the trucks had torn up the two right lanes so bad coming up the hill. I wasn't speeding, but got a warning ticket for driving in the "emergency" lane. Really? I'm the only car on the road at 1am. If I see lights, I'll move out of the way. I'm sure I was just a dumb teenager to the officer, but I still thought it was a stupid reason to get pulled over at that hour.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

We owned a 1980 Rabbit and had it for like 12 years til someone turned left in front of my husband and totaled it.

Reply to
Muggles

Don't ever drive in the cities in Italy. Motorcycles re like cockroaches when a light turns green and they scatter after having bunched up in between the stopped cars.

I don't condone tossing cups, but what were you doing in the left lane if they were coming up on you? The law is, keep right except to pass. Does not matter even if you were doing the speed limit it is a violation when traffic is typically moving faster.

I often see people hogging the left lane going slower than the rest of traffic. Idiots like that cause accidents. You rarely see that in Europe as they are more likely to get ticketed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is a point that old cars that survived actually go up in value to collectors. Certainly got a good value out of your initial buy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

HerHusband posted for all of us...

The officer was just checking on you. Classic drunk behavior at that time. Just doing his job. He gave you the warning so he could account for his actions and perhaps provide info for other incidents in the area.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Per Idlehands:

Two words: "Speed Trap".

Google it...

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per HerHusband:

Not even then.

Can't recall how many states, but it's double digits, where you can get a ticket for "Impeding the flow of traffic" by doing the speed limit in the left lane.

IMHO people who cruise the hammer lane need to be taught what's right and what's wrong..... but it *will* come in the for of a ticket for, basically, not speeding when everybody else is.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Ed Pawlowski:

I think the term-of-art in the UK is "Lane Discipline".

It is almost universal there - and, in Germany, approaches the status of religion.

Years ago in the USA there was as PR program called "Set The Pace For Safety".... apparently encouraging people to cruise the hammer lane.

That did a lot of damage to the national driving IQ IMHO - although, in recent years as speeds have increased, Lane Discipline seems to be resurrecting itself as a commonly-accepted idea.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)