phpBB®

Hello ?

Is anyone here /running/ such a forum?

Is anyone here a /member/ of such a forum? If so, which one(s)?

Has anyone reading here ever /run/ such a forum and then disbanded it? If so, why*?

Does one NEED a server or can one run a forum from a computer?

Thanks in anticipation of helpful advice.

=

Millions of people use phpBB on a daily basis, making it the most widely used open source bulletin board system in the world. Whether you want to stay in touch with a small group of friends or are looking to set up a large multi-category board for a corporate website, phpBB has the features you need built-in.

Newer users will appreciate phpBB's extensive administration panel, which allows the customisation of even the most intricate features without having to edit code directly while advanced users will value the ease with which phpBB can be integrated into existing systems.

Because phpBB is released under the GNU General Public License, you may make changes to the code without first having to obtain permission from the phpBB Group. Our extensive database of user-created extensions makes changing and adding features as simple as pasting code into the appropriate files, while the styles database contains hundreds of style and image packages to customise your board.

The detailed documentation available on this site will help you get phpBB running on your server in minutes. If you have any questions please visit our Community Forum where our staff and members of the community will be happy to assist you with anything from configuring the software to modifying the code for individual needs.

No other bulletin board software offers a greater complement of features, while maintaining efficiency and ease of use. Best of all, phpBB is completely free. We welcome you to test it for yourself today*.

Reference:-

David_B

Hawk

<snip>

Although you didn't answer my questions, 'Hawk', your referral to WikiHow was, indeed, most helpful.

Thank you. :-)

Reply to
David_B

You need a server of some sort to run phpBB. How else could people post to it? If you're asking: 'Can I run my home computer as a server?' Ask your ISP. IIRC, phpBB is one of the pieces of software in Softaculous, that I recently mentioned to Mike Easter. Are you looking for a forum you can't be banned from... that you can control? ;)

Reply to
Steve Carroll <"Steve

Try this:

And them click the "demo" button shown when you hover over phpBB.

And dont miss the login creds:

Admin Username: admin Admin Password: password

Reply to
Steve Carroll <"Steve

What that copy and pasted too? Or are you looking for new victims?

------------------------------------ BD: I want people to "get to know me better. I have nothing to hide". I'm always here to help, this page was put up at BD's request, rather, he said "Do it *NOW*!":

68 confirmed #FAKE_NYMS, most used in cybercrimes! Google "David Brooks Devon" []'s
Reply to
Shadow

On Nov 3, 2020 at 5:58:00 AM MST, "David_B" wrote <stcoH.34880$ snipped-for-privacy@fx07.ams:

I ran one for a short time -- hosted by GoDaddy. Been a few years and I do not recall what issues I ran into. Overall it was not fancy but worked well enough for a real-time chat. FB Messenger and other tools worked better for my needs.

Reply to
Snit

I must have missed that.

Yes. EXACTLY that! :-D

Reply to
David_B

Probably the most common that php based apps suffer from... being starved of memory as a default (which can make sense for an ISP).

A troll would have problems running a BB, 'hit and run' works much better on FB.

Reply to
Steve Carroll <"Steve

I fail to see how as you responded to that post:

<%iJkH.1038807$ snipped-for-privacy@fx42.ams

Maybe, like Snit, too many of your own CPU cycles are going to trolling instead of learning? Worth considering.

I recommend running it locally first, via one of the apps Mike and I were talking about in that post (no dicking around with server stuff).

Reply to
Steve Carroll <"Steve

Thanks. FB Messenger is a fantastic facility but I only use it to message people individually. I used to enjoy the one Jenn used to run but, for whatever reason, she took it down. Something to do with Dustin? Probably!

Reply to
David_B

On Nov 3, 2020 at 3:18:40 PM MST, "David_B" wrote <5HkoH.181495$ snipped-for-privacy@fx01.ams:

I used phpBB or something like it because I was able to add a dice roller -- useful for the role playing games I am in. Now I use tools like Roll20 or, and this might help you will your needs,

It has a free chat client that works well, and you can easily make an account

-- or more than one if you want -- and then create rooms. This is one I am sure others will now visit, but literally as you create the URL you create a room (though you can also require passwords to enter and the like):

For the games where I do not use Roll20, I still do use Messenger because everyone in the group has it, it works well on all platforms we use, and we can easily share images (something not so easy on rolz.org).

Reply to
Snit

Thanks.

I am already familiar with USING phbBB

Reply to
David_B

As an admin? Didn't sound like it given the question you asked:

"Does one NEED a server or can one run a forum from a computer?"

Reply to
Steve Carroll <"Steve

Please remind me about this tomorrow.

Reply to
David_B

NO - as a posting member.

I didn't mean to confuse you.

Reply to
David_B

On Nov 3, 2020 at 6:13:39 PM MST, "David_B" wrote <7fnoH.31252$ snipped-for-privacy@fx02.ams:

I believe it is tomorrow for you now. :)

Reply to
Snit

Now why would I be confused when you asked (2 times) about 'running' one? I'll give the same advice to you I've often given to Snit:

Despite the fact we probably shouldn't, some of us pay attention to what you write, I suggest you give it a shot ;)

Reply to
Steve Carroll <"Steve

Not any more! ;-)

However, I have now, at last, got around to reviewing your post and exploring Rolz. For now, I'm going to give it a miss and stick to what I know.

THANK YOU, though, for introducing me to something new! :-)

Reply to
David_B

On 04 Nov 2020, Kelly Phillips wrote (in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com):

He?s an idiot, that?s why.