How to find name/contact of manufacturer given UPC ?

I give up!!

This UPC-A code is

7 72677 00248 8

it's on a gypsum board

WHO is the manufacturer?

Reply to
Robert Macy

Plugging in number in google:

Guess code does not help.

Reply to
Frank

Don't know that you can find the manufacturer via the barcode.

A google search returns this generic information.

Using the bar code scanner on my smartphone to look up the barcode from that website turns up even less information.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks, thought it was just my lack of ability to find anything useful on the internet!

Reply to
Robert Macy

Robert Macy wrote in news:abe4d9e5-77f5-41cf- snipped-for-privacy@bs8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

It's not really that easy to find out this stuff. You need to be a member of GS1, the organization that issues all UPCs. Fortunately for you, I'm one of those members.

The numbers "772677" tell me what I need to know.

Your sheetrock was marketed by CertainTeed Gypsum Canada, Inc.. They are in a city called Mississauga, which is just west of Toronto, Ontario.

The phone number listed for CertainTeed is 905-823-9881.

I cannot tell from the UPC whether or not the board was /made/ in Canada. For that you need to see the information printed on the product itself.

Reply to
Tegger

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:e97eb0af-20a4-4b5b-a553- snipped-for-privacy@gi10g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

You can. The first six digits are the manufacturer's specific code, called the "Company Prefix". All but one of the rest of the numbers are for the company's use for product identification. The last number is a check digit, which validates the rest of the number.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9FFAC444E9A55tegger@208.90.168.18:

Please take careful note that the company listed on the UPC is the one that sold the product directly to the retailer. Identification of the actual /manufacturer/ of the product is /not/ part of the UPC standard.

The actual manufacturer(s) may or may not be several times removed from the company that sold the product to the retailer, and there exist absolutely no records of any kind which would follow that, outside of internal company records.

******* Also please take careful note that it's not a sure thing that CertainTeed will assume responsibility for the product or its performance post-sale. They may insist that you go through their retail-selling partner (the place you bought it from) for any assistance, which is part of the retailer's job. *******

The upshot: Don't be surprised if you get stonewalled by CertainTeed; you're not really supposed to be calling them.

Reply to
Tegger

I have CertainTeed drywall sheets that I bought last year in my garage that say made in the USA.

And I live in Canada.

Reply to
Duesenberg

why "Company Prefix" is no longer a valid concept.

Fake ID

snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote in news:4f3c9d97$0$11975$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

I'm not sure how correct that page is.

From GS1 Canada's page

"Your Company Prefix Licence is a globally-unique number that accurately identifies your company. Use it to create the numbers that go inside the GS1 bar codes on your products."

I deal with this sort of thing from time to time, and I have not yet come across any conflicts between Company Prefixes. Each UPC definitively resolves to a specific company that is still in existence. That company may not be the original holder of a specific UPC, but it will be the company that currently markets the product with that UPC.

Reply to
Tegger

What's the UPC code on them?

Reply to
dennisgauge

Siince the UPC code isn't governed by any governmental agency, users may create the code in any way they wish in order to match it to their already existing database system/s. It's only really used for inventory control, notifying buyers of items needing to be ordered, sometimes even does the ordering, and the retail price at the store, sometimes with a promotional, lower price also. There isn't even a consistant length to a UPC code except for the bar code reader that will scan it may have limits.

There ARE mil-specs for such things but nothing forces a non-military company to use them unless it's a product FOR and specced by the military. Same with FBI, FTC, ATF, Etc. etc. etc..

Reply to
Twayne