How to Find a Steel Utility Door?

The door from the garage into the back yard, not used especially often, is a builder's special which after several decades has "seen better days", as they say. And the framing around it was hit by termites quite severely - I think I nuked them but the frame is heavily damaged.

After digesting everything I could read on the internet, I think I'd like to put a steel door there, but not the typical dents-easily 26 gauge guy; I'd rather pay a few bucks more for a 20 gauge unit.

But I'm having trouble locating a source here in Southern California. I read a well-written recommendation for the products by a company called Precision, but they don't seem to have a presence out here.

Can anyone suggest a means of getting a decent non-ornate heavy steel pre-hung door around here, or brands that I might consider? This has been a surprisingly futile search target.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

have you tried home depot, ask for fire door, heavily built to withstand near anything, although my regular steel front door is plenty heavy. they can be ordered with no windows etc, and are affordable

Reply to
hallerb

Many retail stores have doors just like that for their behind-the-building delivery entrances. When you called around to some builder's supply companies to inquire about such doors, what did you find out?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No calls yet - only internet scrutiny and this posted enquiry.

I hadn't elaborated, but hope to find a door with a smallish window in the upper third to give some light into the garage. (Was I using the wrong term when I called it a "utility door"?) Most behind-the-building guys seem to be solid/windowless.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Any building supply will have them in stock. It's simply a metal entry door. In any metro area, they're also bound to be a zillion places that manufacture them locally as well -- in fact, the building suppliers probably buy them from a local rather than national.

You can get them w/ whatever you want for 'lites'. If it's a standard

2x4 framing wall and a standard opening, should be able to get one simply walking in and carrying out.

Yellow pages are your friend...

--

Reply to
dpb

Big-box store is unlikely to carry them, since few DIYs want commercial-style utility doors. Rather than mess with their annoying special-order process, try a 'real' lumberyard or supply house that caters to the trade. A door with thicker-gauge metal will also likely come with a metal frame, designed to be set into a masonry wall. If you want a regular wood frame and brickmold so you can switch it yourself, you will likely have to go with a premium residential brand.

You are definitely right about switching the entire assembly, though. The side door to my garage is in similar sad shape, and has been on my to-do list since I bought this place. I wanna wait till I can add an eyebrow canopy above it, and a concrete or paver splash block in front of it, before I switch it, though. As exposed to weather and rain splash as the location is, it would just trash out the new door in short order. For the time being, I just keep it blocked off.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Check in the yellow pages for your local area, you should be able to locate a manufacturer/wholesaler/building materials supplier who can supply such a door. I think calling it a utility door is your problem, most are actually fire doors or at least made by companies that make fire doors. A call to them will tell you if they have such a beast, or who carries such a product, most likely an industrial building materials supplier. Possibly you could obtain their web site if they have one to select a particular door to fit your needs.

Reply to
EXT

You probably won't find what you are after at the box stores or a lumber yard.

some of the brand names you seek are:

Ceco

Look in your yellow pages under commercial hardware.

Steel door runs about $250 and the jambs about $100, set of hinges (1 1/2 pair) about $30, hardware of your choosing - mortise or cylinder, make sure the door is prepped for what you need.

Reply to
DanG

The internet (or internets, if you're an idiot and live in a White House) is/are bullshit, if you live in a busy place like Southern California or NYC or Baltimore or Boston. People who need people are the luckiest people in the world. Pick up the phone and talk to some people.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom