Steel or Vinyl Garage Door

I seek objective opinions: should I get steel or vinyl garage doors?

Several years ago I got a vinyl door for the attached garage. It has performed flawlessly over that period despite the impact of various missles. Now I have a new (detached) garage in need two doors. Being quite pleased with the first door I returned to the same dealer. He no longer carries vinyl doors, only Clopay - no reason given. I don't know the manufacturer of the original door. I have only found two manufacturers today, Everdoor and GADCO. In searching for them I have run into a lot of negative energy from other dealers who do not carry vinyl doors. They say things like the vinyl sections are delivered warped or they discolor from UV exposure. (My original door is still white though moss seems to like it.) I like vinyl for its durability while it is, in general, more expensive. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is vinyl bad?

Reply to
hatch6565

guessing: the answer may be found in your climate. or your dealer has found a good supplier.

Reply to
buffalobill

Temperatures are not extreme here in Pittsburgh. The humidity is not bad. The old door is shaded. The new will see direct sunlight.

Reply to
hatch6565

hey a fellow pittsburger. what companies have you checked? you might call the accurate garage door company, I had them do some work for me once and they were nice and affordable.

I was always under the impression vinyl doors had steel inside for structural reasons.

what part of town are you in ?

Reply to
hallerb

I hale from the South Hills, just over the line in Washington County. The companies on my list are Precision, Rowco, 84 Lumber, Costco, Lowes, and Overhead - arbitrarily ordered. I should add Johnson Door from little Washington. They did a great job on the first door and now I'm reconsidering steel. But I think they only carry Clopay. I am not too keen on Clopay having read some things here. Thanks for the tip on Accurate.

I think you are right about the steel within the door. It also has steel for hinges and brackets.

Reply to
hatch6565

I am interested in this, having tired of painting my wood door. if i get some time i will check a close by door company. I recently repaired my door, some new pulleys etc. need new more energy efficent door and a opener which i never had. although i use my garage for storage, never had a car in there

i am in the n hills by northway mall

Reply to
hallerb

My wood door was literally rotting away at the bottom. It was replaced by viny 6 years ago. The conditions have not changed, i.e. it's still a wet area, but I no longer fear water. The steel bits at the bottom of the door have a little a rust but the cables are fine.

Why do we call it a garage? It's really a storage area with a BIG door.

Reply to
hatch6565

at home resale time its a garage till the new owners fill it with junk:(

Reply to
hallerb