OT Windows 10

|>you look like the typical | >tin hat wearing MSFT basher to me. Why don't you just | >switch to Linux and stop worrying about what MSFT is | >doing? | | He's probably dual or triple booting machines with multiple OS's.

As I mentioned earlier, I love Windows and have been writing Windows software for about

15 years now. Trader_4 just likes to argue... about anything and everything. The "tin foil hat" name calling is a tired, knee-jerk response from people who simply don't want to hear about risks and issues in computing. It's not enough that he likes Windows just the way it is. He gets anxious if everyone else doesn't agree with him, so he needs to find a way to define those people as over-the-edge oddballs.
Reply to
Mayayana

| > Maybe if they come out with a "space age" | >Cortana full size sex toy with "high tech silicone" | >organs, I might be curious to take it for a spin. | >On the other hand, I can't quite see Bill Gates and | >Satya Nadella having the right touch for such a | >product. :) Aside from that, in general I prefer that | >my computer not talk to me. | > | | Keep me posted about the Beta test on toys though. I may volunteer to | help, in the name of science.

Will do. Normally I wouldn't even consider testing Microsoft's products without getting paid for it. But in this case.... the beta test might even be more fun than the final product. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

Thanks but I'm in no hurry to get W10. In fact I'm just a tiny bit annoyed that I can't seem to remove the W10 icon from the taskbar. But not enough to do any hacks that can always screw other things up.

Yup. Both those are on this tablet (Asus T100) but not the others. Yet all report updates being up to date. Maybe it will show up later.

Though all are W8.1 there are OS differences between the three. One big one (IMO) is that this T100 has full device encryption and the others don't. Since I take this on my travels that is a good thing to have. I wonder if it will stay in the W10 upgrade. Also wonder about my legacy programs. Waiting to let others with this device test those questions may be wise...

Reply to
J0HNS0N

I was impressed when my grandkid in the backseat asked Siri directions to someplace I couldn't find and then told me how to get there. I was also impressed that a 12 year old has a $650 phone.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

Need to glue the mike hole shut too. Those sounds can give away what you're doing while looking at them nekid women... ;-)

Reply to
J0HNS0N

Mine too. But that damn lady doesn't understand me half the time so I end up using the car controls anyway. But she never seems to be annoyed when I cuss her out.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

I don't know why it didn't show up on the desktops, but part of 10's rationale is to make it work better on tablets. The first Service Release is aimed at improving battery life along with bug fixes. After the Windows RT fiasco, MS really wants to be a major tablet player.

Reply to
rbowman

To get rid of the icon remove KB3035583 from add/remove programs. Make sure it is set to "show updates".

Reply to
Ron

Back in the day, I bought an Osborne I portable, all 23 pounds of it. As a contractor I was working in the client's shop and got real tired of adapting to whatever lashup they had. CP/M wasn't the be all and end all but at least when I opened up the box I had the tools and OS I was familiar with and wasn't wasting the client's money with OJT.

Historically I wasn't very happy with IBM pushing out the 8088 stopgap that brought us to where we are today rather than the Zilog or Motorola offerings but at least they had the clout to swing the market to one system. (neglecting the Apple Corps of course)

Reply to
rbowman

Well, at least there's a chance. Under Ballmer, Cortana would be Ilsa, she Wolf of the SS.

Reply to
rbowman

Actually once I got used to W8.1 on this tablet I didn't find it all that bad. But then I just use it for light stuff (email, browsing, Usenet, news, etc.).

If I had a complaint it would be the Metro side. But not the OS. I find many of the Metro apps of poor quality and the store with a poor selection. Hopefully they will improve on that.

The desktop side works fine. Which is good because I need it for my legacy programs. With the physical keyboard locked to the tablet it's almost exactly like my last netbook (EeePC) which I liked a lot.

Reply to
J0HNS0N

Microsoft OS's have provided me with a fairly decent income stream. I don't hate MS. However I have a certain degree of skepticism about 'free' things. Did you ever get around to telling me how MS is making a profit giving free stuff away? Nadella better be brushing up his resume if he can't turn a profit.

~ $cat /etc/issue Welcome to openSUSE 13.2 "Harlequin" - Kernel \r (\l).

~ $cat /proc/version Linux version 3.16.7-7-desktop (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.8.3

20140627 [gcc-4_8-branch revision 212064] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 17 18:00:44 UTC 2014 (762f27a)

~ $uptime 12:57pm up 134 days 5:09, 4 users, load average: 0.22, 0.27, 0.25

I really should reboot so it can apply the kernel patches, but I haven't encountered any problems. No reason to rush into anything.

My primary work machine is Kubuntu 12.04. It keeps asking me if I want to upgrade to 14.04 LTS but 12.04 is supported for another 2 years so why bother?

Just so I don't show favoritism, I also work on 3 Windows 7 Pro machines depending on the project at hand and which Visual Studio I want to use. One of those will become a Windows 10 sacrificial offering. Oh yeah, there's also the XP machine I use to build other production apps, and a

2000 machine I use mostly to build one of our legacy products with VC++ 6.0.

Nope, not a MS basher. In fact I watch MS very closely. When your a professional you have to make decisions about which technology you will support. MS has a reputation of throwing last year's bright idea under the bus. The more or less defunct Silverlight is an example. The Edge browser won't support ActiveX so anyone who invested in that technology better figure out their next act. So far, I've been lucky to have made the right choices and not found myself out on a dead MS limb.

Reply to
rbowman

I forget the psychological jargon but people who have underwent some discomfort because of their decision tend to support the decision very strongly. Eric Hoffer's 'The True Believer' also is relevant if dated.

Reply to
rbowman

So you used Windows 1.0? What a gem that was. 2.0? hardly better. 3.0? That started to gain popularity. Of course if you wanted to actually connect to a network you had to download the Trumpet Winsock from the Australians. MS was a little slow developing a socket layer. NT 3.1? Not bad, but there were those consumer releases based on a different technology, some of which weren't so great. XP, where the NT DNA finally merged with the consumer branch was good. Vista? Remember Vista? 7 was another winner, followed by a loser, and we're up to 10.

Actually, I had an epiphany. You consistently refer to Microsoft by the NASDAQ code MSFT that nobody in the tech world uses. I don't want to offend your tender sensibilities but is it possible you own a chunk of MSFT stock? If so, you damn well better hope Nadella has a scheme for making money giving away stuff for free.

Reply to
rbowman

I did that and it was back a week later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It can be removed. Right click on the task bar, properties, and you can choose what shows.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've been reading this thread trying to figure out if it's a good idea to get that win10 or if I should wait a while. Am I right in saying it'd be better to wait to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it?

Reply to
Emma D.

Based on previous experience many times over, Microsoft introduces new versions before they've finished getting the bugs out of the previous ones.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Are you going to wait, or just keep your current version indefinitely?

Reply to
Emma D.

Cognitive dissonance.

Reply to