OTish; Laptops

Time has come to replace the tower PC with a laptop, so I'm after some advice from the learned people here, since I'm a computer numpty.
I'm looking for something around 16". I don't play games (only solitaire) I don't watch films or download music. Don't want a touchscreen, much prefer keyboard/mouse.
I use Word & Excel frequently, sometime quite big documents. I surf the net often & use e-mail a lot. We have 4G WiFi at home, probably won't ever take it out, but will use upstairs in the office, on the deck & downstairs in the lounge.
Reluctant to change from MS Windows simply because I know how to use it.
Any advice on processor type, memory, make, supplier much appreciated.

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 12:22:26 +0100

I am not up to date, but nearly four years ago, I bought a Samsung 15.6" i5 64-bit quad-core laptop, and the only thing I can find against it is that it has no indicator to tell me that NumLock is engaged. Otherwise, it's fine, and does WiFi if I ever need it, which is rarely. It also has Bluetooth, although I will never need that, and a built-in NVIDIA screen card. Unlike many laptops, it has a full number keypad built in, making spreadsheet use easy.
--
Davey.

On 26/04/2015 12:33, Davey wrote:

Ah! I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

usually you get a full keyboard with a larger screen. have a look at what is available at: www.ebuyer.com
--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 26/04/2015 12:50, charles wrote:

Thanks. Bit confused now. These three for example. Whats the difference between AMD Dual Core, Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz and AMD A8-7100 Quad Core?
I know they are the processors but what does that mean?
AMD Dual Core E1-6010 1.35GHz 4GB RAM + 320GB HDD
Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD
AMD A8-7100 Quad Core 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD
Also, I assume the one with 8GB is better and that 1TB is better than 320GB?

A rough and ready way to compare them is the CPU benchmark score - it is artificial and can be gamed a bit by chip makers but it allows you some idea of bang per buck (albeit with US prices).
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html
Checking this page will avoid buying an overpriced lemon.

BM = 856

BM = 2462

BM = 2966

Generally more ram and more HD is good. 4 real cores is good too, but you will only get optimum performance with programmes that are designed to use all four cores efficiently (and not many are). If you do HD video editing then it matters that you get decent fast CPU and memory but for basic word and spreadsheets almost anything will do.
- Regards, Martin Brown
On 27/04/15 12:16, Martin Brown wrote:

good video - especially flash - is a CPU chewer, too.
Dell do those as well, though of course the machine tends to be wider, or the keys smaller depending on your prefs. I'd probably suggest you try some of the keyboards, as if you are used to a normal keyboard, laptop ones do seem flimsy and or lacking in travel or positive feedback. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

All the normal ones like the i3, i5 are fine for that sort of use.

Makes sense to run at least 8MB and the 64bit version of Win for the large documents, but it isn't crucial.

Doesn’t matter much. I normally stick to those that have full maintenance manuals available, but that won't matter to you.

Don’t believe that matters at all except that they do honour any warranty claims promptly.

Sorry, should have said, budget around the £500 mark.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

I've always used 'refurbished' ex corporate laptops as you get solid machines for not much money. My current one is a HP Elitebook 8440p which cost me well under £200 complete with a legal copy of Windows 7 and a 12 month guarantee. Perfectly adequate for my needs. I use it mainly as a portal to my desktop machine which is in my office on the other side of the farmyard, so can use it without going outside. Mind you it has a higher spec than the desktop !!!
Andrew

Yep quite agree. I needed a laptop for carting around with me didn't want to risk a new one got one from here looked almost new, a year or so out of date but with WIN 7 and 64 bit and that for a hundred sheets:)
Well happy...
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/404/Laptops-Netbooks/
--
Tony Sayer

This laptop is a beast for the price. I've used this firm for years, they are very good. Have a peek, this one is very good value for money and within your budget.
http://www.cclonline.com/product/155860/PU551LA-XO085G/Laptops/Asus-ASUSPRO-ESSENTIAL-PU551LA-15-6-inch-Business-Notebook-Core-i7-4500U-1-8GHz-4GB-750GB-DVDSM-WLAN-BT-Webcam-Windows-7-Pro-with-Windows-8-Upgrade-Integrated-Intel-HD-Graphics-4400-/NOT00530/
On 26/04/2015 13:21, Ronnie wrote:

Thanks, I'll add to the list.

On 26/04/2015 13:21, Ronnie wrote:

One question is whether it's going to be basically a desktop replacement, except that you can take it into the lounge, kitchen, bedroom or whatever. If you are taking it "on the road" and potentially rattling around in your van then as others have suggested it might be worth considering something like a Dell business model. A bit more robust and "modular" with more replaceable bits.
That said I have a couple of Acer "consumer" models which I use for consultancy in retirement, and one or other of them has been travelling with me to sites and client offices for the past year without mechanical problems. These have 15.6 inch screens: small enough to fit in a briefcase, big enough for visibility, separate numeric pad, and DVD drive. If I were shopping for a "home" laptop I might get the next screen size up. Although you can always hook it up to a bigger monitor.
On 26/04/2015 16:08, newshound wrote:

That's exactly what it is.

Good idea, I have a bigger monitor. Ta.

Of course (just to stick an oar in), an alternative strategy is to have a smaller laptop (which is more portable) and a larger monitor with full size keyboard on a desk, for when you need to do something more serious than you might in front of the telly.
About 6 months ago, I got my external monitor at the same time as I bought a tablet and the laptop now hardly leaves the desk, unless I'm travelling for work and want to write in transit etc. The tablet is just fine for all the web-based, email, etc (ie non-work) things. Apart from coming here, as there's no decent news reader app.
Plugging it all up takes about 10 seconds (I just tried), so it's hardly complex to remove or replace the laptop.
On 26/04/2015 13:21, Ronnie wrote:

I have supplied quite a few of the i5 version of those to customers recently. (£415 inc VAT if you want one Dave). They are nicely made and seem well liked.
The only downside I have found is that I can't get spare keyboards for them at the moment. (they are the type of design where the machine is built onto the underside of the top plastic and the kb is an integral part of it).
Performance and ergonomics are good. 4 USBs (2x 2.0 + 2x 3.0). Comes with win 7 pre loaded, and the option of win 8 if you want. They really perform well if you replace the supplied HDD with a solid state one.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 26/04/2015 13:21, Ronnie wrote:

How would that compare to this?
http://www.ebuyer.com/662400-toshiba-satellite-pro-r50-b-122-laptop-pssg0e-008001en

A very usable computer, but if it was me, I'd install a 120GB SSD for about £80 for system and programs and use the 1TB Hard drive supplied and used as a backup drive. The SSD will make it fly along in comparison to the internal drive supplied.