OTish; Laptops

Like MS have with XP.

Maybe it's time to update your OS then, it's the persons choice. if you want to use something youre old OS doesn't ssupport.

Most don;t as they buy from 3rd party's. Yopu usually buy oit with a copy o f windows, it's the same software as the pro windows but on the hokme editi ons and education editions they remove certain things. On the last one I ca me across is was teh abilitye to reisntall windows on a new machine, becaus e that wasnt; part of the home edition.

No it isn't people have to replace their PCs far more often than Mac users do.

Thta's because they are still usable

Because they are.

I did and you are wrong. Aple do their own hardware. That's why PC companies play catchup with the ultrabook trying to copy the macbook air. Lok at virtually every single PC laptop the vast majority are trying to look like apple devices.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Libre Office is NOT word and NOT excel.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I installed it, and it wouldn't open any spreadsheets created in Libre Office, a standard .ods file. No use to me, all my sheets are .ods.

Reply to
Davey

But they haven't.

Well yes its easy on a PC but try that with Apple and they will refuse to install the new OS on the grounds that you won't have a good experience, which others have shown to be untrue in many cases.

They don't disable anything, its a cheap OEM version that they get for a reduced price because it is tied to that machine. If you buy a retail version you can move it when you like.

Apple won't let you put their OS onto anything that isn't their hardware even though it runs on PCs.

So are the PCs.

And?

Intel have been driving Mac designs for a while now. They also drive PCs to a lesser extent.

Its odd that many of the new PCs have touch screens and pen input unlike the apple ones you think they are copying. Apple even had to copy the idea for tablets from the PC world. Come to think about it they copied mice (and got it wrong!), computers, laptops, tablets, phones, watches, .. Is there anything apple have done that someone else hadn't done first?

Reply to
dennis

Really.

How do I stay protected?

To stay protected now that support has ended, you have two options: Upgrade your current PC

Get a new PC

--------------------------- up their on their own website.

on my 2010 manin I've installed teh lasted OS yosmite and that's on a 5 yea r old mac and it cost NOTHING.

Yep tied to that machine exactly.

Depends which retail version doesn;t it. And teh features of that retail version are differnt from other retail vers ions.

Peolpe can do it if they want to, they do it's called hackintosh. and as Apple are using their hardware sales to suport softeare so why shoul d they give it way free to PC users MS don;t give office or their OS away f ree to Mac users.

so why aren't more older PC laptoips still in use. check out teh price of a 5 year old PC laptop and compare that to a 5 year old Mac laptop.

Peole use disposable nappies, disposable hander chiefs. There's a reason why they aer disposable.

complete rubbish. The design of teh mac has little to do with the processor.

Apple won;t go down that route until it works properly.

PC world aren't manufactors

they got it right a $300 mouse came down to about $15 to make. That was steve jobs directive when his saw who the mice ran on the xerox wo rkstatiions. PC where still command line.

but not properly or to make a profit or availble to the average users. Word asd a WYSIWYG ran on a mac before windows even came out. Windows copied Mac . Mac 1984 windows 1985 (novemeber) They are still playing catch up, why do you think they are calling it windo ws 10 because it's the tenth version of windows ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Download the fixes produced for the NHS as they are still running XP and M$ is still releasing fixes for it. The UK taxpayer is paying for it BTW.

But 2010 is nothing, I have PCs from 2007 running windows.

but apple try and stamp it out everytime they release an update.

Have you tried fitting a graphics card to a mac? They are *identical* to the PC ones except that apple wont run them unless it says "paid through the nose for it" in the ROM.

Yes they do give office away free to apple users.

I fail to see any point in what you said, please expand?

Just why do you think apple gave up their own processor and switched to Intel?

Oh yes they are. Mutters about him being obtuse.

You call a one button round mouse correct, you are having a laff.

windows copied the same ones that apple copied. None of those things were anything other than copies of something else.

Is there anything apple have done that someone else hadn't done first?

Reply to
dennis

Only annoying thing is they are no longer easy to download as PDFs... (although the silverlight interface is not as bad as it was at first now)

Reply to
John Rumm

year old mac and it cost NOTHING.

hould they give it way free to PC users MS don;t give office or their OS aw ay free to Mac users.

ear old Mac laptop.

Disposable stuff has a use doesn't it. So if that's what's required then fi ne. Biut don;t expext disposable stuff and reusable to be the same stuff.

Apple didn't give up their processor. What you call their processors was ma de by Motorola. Motorola were having trouble providing faster chips at the right price point and the faster chips were being sold to MS for use in the xbox. Also Apple were looking for a better chip than the PPCs, they wanted lower power options for laptops and motorola couldn't make them and intel did. Apple had already written OS X for Intel because they wanted better lo wer power laptops.

PC world are a store, box shifters. They sell Macs too.

x workstatiions. PC where still command line.

yes compared to command line editing. Rember DOS MS DOS. And the fist Apple mouse was NOT round idiot that was in the late 90s we're talking mid 80s.

At the time to copy a file on a PC you'd type "copy A:/file C:/filec" on a Mac you'd drag the icon over. if you cant;' reemebr what computers were like in 1984

6

I brought my first computer in late 1982, I'd been using them a couple of y ears the fist being a Commodore PET

think I have the manual somewhere.

indows 10 because it's the tenth version of windows ?

The Apple II, also invented by Wozniak, was introduced on April 16, 1977. I t differed from its major rivals, the TRS-80 and Commodore PET, because of its character cell-based color graphics and open architecture.

Anyway it's not about being first, the first computer wasn't made by IBM ei ther or MS. The first man in space wasnt american either. China were making rockets in the 14th century.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You do if your apps are 16 bit...

They are not bad apps, they just use a deprecated API call to get the information. Alas the API designers did not have the foresight to allocate large enough return parameters.

Reply to
John Rumm

Some things may run faster - but by no means all. Quite often the available memory bandwidth will get in the way of any real gains.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would - but only for the reason its usually cheaper to buy and otherwise high spec spinning rust lappy, and upgrade the drive yourself from new, that stump up the silly money the makers often want for a laptop with one in as standard.

Reply to
John Rumm

True - that's what I did as Dell did not have a sensible SSD offering.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or in the case of TP too closely integrated with a particular version of Explorer. ISTR that TP5 will run OK on Win7 x64 with a bit of fiddling but that the later TP6 will not due to its "improvements".

I abandoned TP in favour of TB on moving to Win7 x64.

Not the first time it has happened either.

Reply to
Martin Brown

64 bit runs 16 bit applications and 32 bit.

Reply to
dennis

It also highlights why Charles Simonyi's insistence on using Hungarian Notation[1] for all the formal parameter names in the Win16 API was a daft idea - win32 is still lumbered with LParam and WParam where the W version is 32 bit, and even the Win64 API has them and they are both 64 bit!

[1] Never a good system IMHO, and only plausibly justified in the days of K&R style C compilers with untyped formal function parameters and lax type checking.
Reply to
John Rumm

Not natively - the capability was explicitly removed. Vis:

You can get round it if you run a complete visualised 32bit version of windows on your 64 bit platform of course.

Reply to
John Rumm

Finally decided on this;

The Medway Handyman

Yuk! A *Celeron* processor!?

Reply to
Bod

Celeron now != Celeron 10 years ago...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Couldn't agree more. I had some terrible times interfacing strongly typed Modula2 and Pascal related languages to OS/2 PM and Win95 APIs.

The world might have been a much better place if the early CPU address space had been too big to fit into an integer so that C could not use integers and pointers quite so interchangeably.

We still live with the results with rampant buffer overrun attacks and other tricks that rely on cryptic micromanaged insecure but fast coding.

Reply to
Martin Brown