OTish; Laptops

Plus the after sales service at CCL is far superior than PC World who are useless with after sales service. Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

Reply to
Bod

Good grief. You don't understand anything about computer hardware do you?

If you are going to use a register to contain a value that might be a memory content or a memory address you are screwed from the start irrespective of the length of either or both.

If you are going to allow registers that corresponding to memory addresses to be incremented. decremented or have arbitrary offsets addressed to them, so you can index tables, you already have te hardware potential for malfeasance.

If you are going to use the stack to contain data as well as return addresses, you al;ready have the potential for using data to alter program flow.

This is all in the architecture of the hardware, not in the language. And if you remove it from the hardware then you have a very inefficient computer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But paid extra for the software, anti virus, mouse, bag etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you're happy with your selection, that's all that matters. Enjoy

Reply to
Bod

s/C/poor programmers/

Some of us have always known better. (But then the Dec10 I first used for assembler had 18-bit addresses and 36-bit integers)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

yerrs. The world is full of people clamouring for someone else to protect them from the consequences of their own indiscipline and idiocy isn't it?

C is like a chainsaw. Respect it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its also portable, it will compile but may well do something different portable.

Reply to
dennis

It _can_ be portable. But it takes care.

Even I tend to assume char will be 8 bits.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris