OTish; Laptops

Yes.

The upgrades aren't.

They don?t start to charge you if your hardware is too old.

But you are free to ignore that want.

Still cost you nothing to find that out.

Still free.

It develops and sells *hardware* too, most obviously with the xbox.

Bullshit.

Reply to
Simon Brown

You can't run most of the software that will run on a laptop.

Reply to
Simon Brown

I did say earlier that some (notably Intel ones do have to open to run Linux on too - given the best of both worlds:

Tim Watts

Mac OS is free with teh mac, and for me the last two versions were both fre e. I've had free OS with macs since I goit a DVD of snow leopard thrpough the post too. After that I got a free upgrade from SL to Lion then from lion to mountain lion to mavericks then to yoshomite. I can't remmeber buying an O S for my mac mini since I brought it in 2010 and it's fully up-to-date.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes.

Not really. At the weekend I installed the latest version yosmite (free) on my Mac mini I brought new in 2010. Before that I'd installed mavericks (free) I instaleld phots for free last night, photos didn;t exist when the hardware was made, although prhaps that's just a name change.

or keep yuor old hardware.

yes but you can run into other problems so those that want an easy life will use recommened OS's for the hardware. In most cases it's a waste of time running the latest software on out fo date machine whether it's mac or PC. Can you think of any advantages to running XP on a new laptop ? MS don't support it.

Yep, how many differnt versions for teh same computer ? MS disable certain aspects of the cheaper software installs, because they don't want all their customers getting the full value of their product.

MS disable some aspects of the software the day you purchase it, Apple let you use it on any sytem it will install on. Apple will disable things after 5,6, or 7 years.

apart from some chips, such as the specail controller for the retina displays. and a lopt of the ipad/iphone chips.

Reply to
whisky-dave

and under powered, I think most tablets are better, especailly ipads and even a phone.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Since TMH uses Excel, it might be interesting to see if the Google spreadsheet works for him.

If so, the Chromebook (or an Android tablet) could be a no brainer

Reply to
stuart noble

Where do you think Apple used to get their money from before they started creaming off the app store?

What are you on about? That is the exact opposite of what anyone would want to do.

They sell different versions, you can buy whichever one you want.

They disable it from installing, you can noble it and install it and it will work perfectly well but then Apple doesn't get a hardware sale.

They don't develop hardware, they sub contract it out. They didn't design the original Intel macs at all, Intel did it.

Reply to
dennis

It seems easier than Excel :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They run word processing & spreadsheets, that's all I use.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That is just plain wrong. That isn't what happened with all of the iphone, ipad, watch, ipod or the latest Macs.

That mangles the real story.

Reply to
Simon Brown

I tend to agree with Dave. Either a netbook or Chromebook would be an excellent introduction to the world of 'not desktops' rather than initially shelling out a lot of dosh for a super fast laptop, most features of which will be neither used nor appreciated.

I have said many times I love my little netbook, which is perfect for my uses - web, mail, docts, spreadsheets etc. My son is a serious gamer with a fast desktop, but he also has a Chromebook, bought by my Mother. It is Tesco or Argos via eBay, probably a customer return, with full warranty etc. Not much more than a hundred pounds, and does exactly what it is designed to do. Turns on, boots quickly, connects to wi fi etc. Son plays games and watches films on it, in bed. He is very happy with it.

Reply to
News

Fair enough, but they are not for me. They are more of a niche market.

Reply to
Bod

My point was that I doubt much of the money I paid for the mac mini in 2010 went into the delevopment of yosmite. Before snow leaopard most of the OS' s you had to buy unless you got them free with the hardware. So NOW the mon ey they cream off the i devices and software/.AP store is also used.

So why are so many still running XP ? 25% ? I wouldn't and can't run yosmite on a Mac plus. So little point in doing so. The only time I came across this so called problem was with my G4. It;d worlked on 9.02 right up to 10.4 but couldn't install 10.5 because Apple considered that the 500MHz was too slow and requirement was for a 867MHz processor. But using the advice gioven on line it could be installed but not recommented, but as I had a dual core 500MHz I installed it. Seems to work OK but a friend that had a 867MHz tower noticed a bit of a sl ow donw when he did his. I can't see much point in installing a new OS that slows things down. I admit that when I fist installed OS X 10.01 it was pig slow far slower th an OS9. I stayed at 0s9 until at least 10.2 came out.

why have differnt versions that's the point I can undertand 2 versions but

7 ! They'll copy Apple soon anyway and just have 2 versions. They have already done so by calling it windows 10 , 9 would have been seen as lower than 10 or Apples OS X. 11 would have been suspicious. Why they missed windows 9 well you take a guess at that.

Then why have difernt versions if nothing is missing ?

Old Apple copmputers tend to work far longer than others do, which is one o f teh reason Aplpe products keep thier valuse far more than PCs do especial ly labtops.

They do the A chips for the ipad and iphone they develop the chip and get intel or someone to make it.

Yes they did Intel designed the chips. The foirst imacs had PPC chips intel didn't design those macs and niether did IBM.

Reply to
whisky-dave
8<

You will see the point when they do any of the following..

stop releasing security fixes release apps that use stuff in the new OS but not in yours ..

You buy an OS and M$ do not disable anything. You know what you are buying.

Rubbish. Old apple computers cost so much to replace people don't throw them away like they do with windows PCs. You can get a perfectly good windows laptop for £150 or less so people just treat them as disposable items.

Read what I said instead of making stuff up.

Reply to
dennis

It does everything the vast majority of users need. Why they buy Windows machines or Macs is beyond me.

Reply to
stuart noble

Maybe because windows laptops are cheaper and don't need an internet connection.

Reply to
dennis

They do if they need to connect to the outside world.

Reply to
charles

??????

Not so. One of the reasons I'm considering Chrome Book is the much lower price. You can buy cheap windows laptops but the spec is low & you have to pay extra for word, excel etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman