OT: Warning: Daylight Stupid Time ends

When people say "you get an extra hour" I thought "nobody could be that stupid". I seem to have gotten that one wrong.

Reply to
Sam E

When times moves back, you have lived in the future.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I get an extra hour of waiting for the alarm clock to catch up with my brain's idea of what time it is. Every day for a week or two.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

But think of all the daylight saved over the years. I have so much in my account I can avoid the dark for days.

Florida is one the that states that want to stay on DST all year. Congress have to approve it though so it may never happen.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think state legislatures could approve it. It is a PITA twice a year to change all our clocks. Even my atomic clocks get flaky and I have to move them near windows. Nobody like it but nobody has a solution. I say abolish DST.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

State can approve to stay on standard time. DST year round needs Fed approval.

Opinions differ as the opposite sides of the time zone have a natural variance. I like the light at the end of the day but if my kids left for school in the dark I may think different.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Isn't DST all year long just "T". If all of the businesses and schools want to change their hours, they can. The only thing it screws up is the TV schedules.

Reply to
gfretwell

The federal government controls DST

Reply to
gfretwell

Schools could juggle their hours if they wanted to.

Reply to
gfretwell

Saw that one year when I traveled to the end of the eastern time zone - all the kids going to school in the dark. It was weird.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Schools have control over that though. Just start later. Growing up in Philadelphia most factories started at 8, schools were 8:30. Moved to CT and found everything was about an hour earlier. Probably something that was tradition in 1620 and no reason to change.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It will make my morning commute a little easier but nothing life changing. The sun rising over the mountains is picturesque, dramatic, and all that good stuff but not when you're trying to see the road.

Reply to
rbowman

I 80 e at 7am sun in eyes all the way to nyc. After work, sun in eyes west all the way home. Kinda glad the company sold out to china. Now, my employer is 1.5 miles from home.

Reply to
Thomas
[snip]

I seem to remember that DST was supposed to be a joke. That's what it's good for (other than giving you chances to get your clocks set right).

Reply to
Emory L
[snip]

DST is not quite just T. It's effectively changing the timezone, but in a more complicated and confusing way.

Just don't lie about it (by messing with the clocks).

And dogs (animals expecting to be fed at a certain time).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

  Especially big dogs that think their master needs to get up at a certain time ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

It is just propagated by people who think if they wake up much after sunrise, they are sleeping the day away. In that regard I suppose it does have some value. The utility for me went away when I started working 3d shift and by the time I was back on days, the company had flex time so you could make your own DST. I also understand a lot of people do not have that option. Now that I am retired this is my clock.

gfretwell

Doesn't matter. I wake up before sunrise all year long. I still hate DST, and I hate the semiannual changes even more.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Until I was 18, I had one clock and my mother had 2.

In college I had only one and my mother was on her own.

Now I have about 10. It's too much trouble to change them all so some I leave on summer time all year round. I only change the microwave, not the stove, because it's the time I check in the kitchen, and the alarm clock

Reply to
micky