OT- daylight savings time

Yes it's time again for our bi-annual exercise in futility. That special time of year when we are all supposed to adjust our clocks by an hour one way or the other. Although lately, I've noticed that a lot of clocks are smart enough to adjust themselves so what happens now is instead of all my clocks being off for an hour until I get around to fixing them, only some of them are off. What fun it is to try to remember which clocks are right, which are wrong, and how do I set that f*#%ing clock on the stove again?

If any of you don't know what I am talking about, consider yourself lucky.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

yep, my problem is the alarm system. about 35 keystrokes (in the proper order) just to move the hour BACK one.

BRuce

Frank Ketchum wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Boy, I'm glad I live in Indiana, where we don't change time. We stay on Eastern Standard all year.

Doug Miller

I think we should do away with DLST, I am sick and tired of loosing the hour every Spring.

Reply to
Leon

Finally - the clock in my shop is correct again!

Reply to
Rob V

yeh. im a firm believer that we should change em by 1/2 hour ONCE and be done with this mess forever. skeez

Reply to
skeezics
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Most of Indiana does change.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Reply to
Grandpa

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:42:05 GMT, "Frank Ketchum" brought forth from the murky depths:

Speaking of which, I was going to record the hour of TOH classics last night and the change got me. I got Nahm and half an hour of programmed crap instead. BUT...

Since it actually saves us money (the gov't using less oil to light their useless offices) I'm all for it. Granted, it's less effective than downsizing the gov't by about 80%, but it's here and it's working, so I'm in agreement with using it.

P.S: It's "daylight saving time", not "savings".

Source:

"I saw it on the Web. It _has_ to be true."

-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

Half the year, I am an hour early, the other half, an hour late...

Reply to
solarman

Reply to
Wayne Weber

Are you serious, about the government saving money by not lighting their offices? I can't remember the last time I saw lights turned off in any reasonably sized office, govern-mental or not, while people are working in them. Even in the summer, middle of the afternoon...

Course, I'm up here in Canada, so maybe we do things differently north of the border. And of course, up here, by the time December rolls around it's dark before we get into the office and it's dark when we leave. So switching to DLST accomplishes not much, as far as I can tell. And I don't mind switching clocks so much as trying to get the kids to adjust.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

That's because effectively, we're already on Daylight time, all the time, and most of us don't discern any benefit from changing things. Astronomically speaking, Indiana belongs in the Central time zone, not the Eastern, thus being on permanent EST is functionally equivalent to having DST year-round anyway. Our clocks are nearly an hour ahead of the sun as it is; if we were on EDT in the summer, they'd be almost two hours out of sync.

Only two options make any sense: go back to the Central time zone (where we used to be) and go on CDT with the rest of the Central zone (as we used to), or keep the status quo.

Me, I like not having to change the clocks twice a year.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Doug Miller

Somehow, I've been able to deal with it. Go figure.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Yeah, I did too, when I lived in Illinois and Michigan. It's really not as big a deal as many of my fellow Hoosiers seem to think -- but it's a pain in the keister just the same, and you won't realize how big a nuisance it is, until you move to a state where you don't have to do it any more.

Beyond the nuisance factor, though, I wonder how much productivity is lost every year due to the semiannual time changes. Not just in the time spent changing clocks, either. I wonder about productivity lost due to people being late for work or missing a meeting because someone forgot to change a wristwatch or alarm clock. I wonder about mistakes made on the job by people who were shorted an hour of sleep in the spring, or the accidents they have driving to and from work.

Now here in Indiana, we don't have to worry about any of that stuff. Those who deride us as "old fashioned" misunderstand completely: by being one time zone ahead of our "natural" position, we're effectively on Daylight Saving Time all year -- placing us in the forefront of innovative time management. Together with Arizona and Hawaii, we are leading the nation into the 21st century. Join us! Call or write your elected representatives now! ;-)

Doug Miller
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

I wasn't talking about time zones, Wayne.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I wish I didn't hafta either.

Here's some good reading...

a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Eventually, it'll be a bigger pain for you than it is for us. Many time-keeping devices...and probably most in the future...now automatically make the change. All my computers changed over this year...without asking...as did many of my other electronic devices.

Those folks were fired a long time ago...and have been hired by off-shore companies. lol

The biggest hassle is for payroll departments...for people working the

11-7 shift.

Check the link I sent. Many folks in Indiana deal with the same problem as us...although not most counties as I stated.

And DST has nothing to do with time zones. If I'm correct, all time zones are affected by DST.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Here in Saskatchewan we stay on MDT year round.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

[snip]

Oh, I get it now -- you're picking nits again. _Of_course_ it changes: it's

9:58 pm as I write this, and in a minute it's gonna be 9:59 pm. How clever of you. Just like my kids, except they outgrew that sort of jokes around age six.

OTOH, if you weren't picking nits again... you're wrong.

Doug Miller