OT- daylight savings time

And our computers very obediently did *not* change: time zone is set for "GMT

-05:00 Indiana (East)". Ditto for every other clock or appliance in the house.

The vast majority of the population of Indiana lives in counties that do not change. Fully one-fourth of the population lives in Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Fort Wayne, South Bend, Kokomo, Anderson, Lafayette, Bloomington, and Terre Haute don't change time either.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. Each time zone within the United States, at least, has both standard time and daylight saving time at different times of the year. In every case, daylight time is one hour later than standard time. However, not every part of a given time zone observes daylight time -- Indiana and Arizona being a couple of examples.

Doug Miller

There are a couple of states where people pulled their heads out and scrapped this daylight savings crap. How do you save daylight anyway, in a bottle?

Reply to
CW

Of course, you only borrow it from the beginning of the day. I'll bet the people who are pushing for us (Indiana) to go on DST have never had to try to get a little kid to go to sleep when it's still light outside at 9 pm.

Doug Miller

As is my car.

Reply to
CW

Unlike some other responders, I am in favor of staying on daylight savings time all year and maybe doubling up in the spring. I HATE when it gets dark at 5:00. I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark in the winter. Since I am not much of a "morning person", it could stay dark till noon for all I care, but give me a little daylight after work. ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

... and I worked at a place that kept me in the dark... Until they let me go -- on a Friday the 13th, no less.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:48:40 -0600, Dave Balderstone scribbled

I thought it was CST. ;-) It's a pain in the butt dealing with you stubble jumpers, I never know whether you're on Alberta time or Manitoba time. I won't say anything about the Newfs who are a half hour late for everything.

Just curious, do computers take Saskatchewan's peculiarity into account (like they seem to do for Indiana) and not change the time?

BTW, the Yukon used to have its own time zone, until some federal bureaucrat decided it would be more convenient if it was in the same time zone as BC. If you examine a map, you will see that all of the Yukon is west of Vancouver. Alaska Standard Time was originally called Yukon Standard Time.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

The shop in my clock is right twice a day, every day, all year round, with no need to ever changed it. Now that's efficiency!

DST changes are a PITA for me. We like clocks. Betcha I have more clocks than most folks... Let's see... 12. That's not counting clocks I never bother to set, like the VCR and microwave. Not counting watches either.

Reply to
Silvan

Yep, live in AZ, we just changed time from Pacific Daylight time to Mountain Standard time. One of the most civil things AZ after having moved here from TX -- no messing with the clocks-- mechanical, electronic, or biological. I love it.

Of course, some the radio programs switch times, but that's no big deal.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I truly believe the biggest loss of productivity is in upsetting the circadean rhythm that that 1 hour change makes. I know it took me a couple of days, especially after the spring loss of 1 hour to really get back into the swing of things. I really do love not having to go through that adjustment twice a year now that we've moved to AZ.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I don't care if they remove DST or leave EST, but I wish to hell they' d put one in place and leave it. Screws up my sleep for 3-4 days.

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

AZ is *complicated* territory, with regard to the 'what time is it?' question.

Arizona does -not- go on DST.

The Navajo Nation, on the other hand, _DOES_. It sprawls into Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico, as well as Arizona, and they chose one standard for the entire area.

Then there's the Hopi Reservation, entirely _inside_ the Navajo Nation in Arizona. and they _don't_ go on DST. To match Arizona, I guess.

Driving on a straight North-South line, one can change 'time-zones' *FOUR* times, all _within_ the state of Arizona. Six times, if you count the changes -at- the AZ borders.

Reply to
admin

Move to Indiana!

Doug Miller

I get up a little before first light, regardless of what the clocks say.

The rest of the day is divided according to:

Before Breakfast. Breakfast. Coffee Break. Lunch. Afternoon Break. Dinner. After Dinner. Bedtime.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

I doubt very many, since the time change occurs on the weekend. One hour is nothing. Don't you ever travel?

I love being on EDT, and in fact, would love to move the clocks FORWARD in the fall to gain daylight in the evening. Who cares if it's dark in the morning? But when it's dark when I'm leaving work, it sucks.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Futility in what? What exactly are you unable to do?

For more info on Daylight Saving Time (not SAVINGS!) see:

changes

During the Arab-Israeli War in October 1973, Middle East members of OPEC issued an embargo against the sale of crude oil to Israel's Western allies. In the United States, gasoline became scarce and prices jumped 40 percent, crimping the American economy. Following the

1973 Arab Oil Embargo, Congress put most of the nation on extended Daylight Saving Time for two years in hopes of saving additional energy. This experiment worked, but Congress did not continue the experiment in 1975 because of opposition -- mostly from the farming states.

In 1974, Daylight Saving Time lasted ten months and lasted for eight months in 1975, rather than the normal six months (then, May to October). The U.S. Department of Transportation -- which has jurisdiction over Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. -- studied the results of the experiment. It concluded:

Daylight Saving Time saves energy. Based on consumption figures for

1974 and 1975, The Department of Transportation says observing Daylight Saving Time in March and April saved the equivalent in energy of 10,000 barrels of oil each day -- a total of 600,000 barrels in each of those two years.

Daylight Saving Time saves lives and prevents traffic injuries. The earlier Daylight Saving Time allowed more people to travel home from work and school in daylight, which is much safer than darkness. And except for the months of November through February, Daylight Saving Time does not increase the morning hazard for those going to school and work.

Daylight Saving Time prevents crime. Because people get home from work and school and complete more errands and chores in daylight, Daylight Saving Time also seems to reduce people's exposure to various crimes, which are more common in darkness than in light.

The Department of Transportation estimated that 50 lives were saved and about 2,000 injuries were prevented in March and April of the study years. The department also estimated that $28 million was saved in traffic accident costs.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Fair enough. I don't care one way or the other about which time we use, but I'd damned sure like it to remain the same. The nonsense of changing clocks twice a year can be readily eliminated by using DT all the time.

If farmers still object, hey, what the hell. As things are going, there will be only 17 or so commercial farmers left in the U.S. in a few years. Not a big voting bloc.

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

Lots of farmers in Indiana object. The Indiana Farm Bureau says that DST would create a hardship for dairy farms, in that cows need to be milked at the same time every day -- as if cows can tell time.

The Farm Bureau also objects that the hours kept by stores serving farmers would make it difficult for farmers to get there before the stores close, after a day in the fields -- as if a business wouldn't adapt its hours to serve its customers.

There are a lot of valid reasons to object to DST, but they don't include farming.

Doug Miller

Got that right. I never really had much problem with local time anywhere in the world, even when I went from tomorrow back to today, except in Newfoundland, where they split the difference, and go with 3:30 from Greenwich.

Of course that's only one of the ways Newfies are deliberately and proudly different.

DST was designed for 45 degree latitude, and assumes less and less importance as you go north or south.

Reply to
George

And be confused. Went to school in South Bend, so I know how confusing it can be for others when you're no longer an hour different than they.

Reply to
George