OT- daylight savings time

I like the cut of your jib, Simpson. Um. Hall.

The thing I hate about the Dark Time, as I call it, is rush hour traffic at night, with 300 billion people shining their headlights into your eyes.

Reply to
Silvan

I only meant that in the sense that I will just be changing everything back in 6 months anyhow. Kind of a joke, you know? I understand why we do it and I don't disagree with it, it is just one more chore that needs to be done.

Cheers Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

What's a jib?

I think everyone agrees with you on this one.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Frank Ketchum responds:

I think the correct term is Sisyphean. Like SIsyphus, ya rolls da boulder up the hill and it rolls right back down again when you get to the top.

A feeling of futility is understandable.

I'm glad you understand it.

Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige

Reply to
Charlie Self

  1. Doug has an older version of Windows.
  2. The change is a setting within the Windows program/operating system. It doesn't automatically change the time because it simply isn't set to do so. It has nothing to do with his time zone.
  3. He keeps confusing time zones with Daylight Saving Time.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Just don't move to Manchester, Indiana...or anywhere in Dearborn county...and some other counties.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I love it when you can get to your destination before you even took off! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Thanks for the post, Larry...very interesting.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

And your point would be... ?

Right, that's what the "Indiana" choice is for in the Windows "time zone" setting: year-round EST.

I know the difference perfectly well. You're the one who's confused. Keep at it, though. I have confidence in you -- you'll catch on eventually.

Doug Miller
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

The time didn't change on your computer only because that's the way you have it configured to work...on 98.

I conceded that point...as I mentioned above.

But some counties in Indiana do adhere to DST.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Hate to be contrary, but *I* prefer morning light. I'm willing to drive home in complete and utter darkness, but I want to be able to have sunshine on my way to work. Helps me wake up and puts me in the mood to face the day.

Night, OTOH, is for the shop. I like it when it's cold, raining, and dark out when I'm doing my WW. Makes my world focus down to just the shop, letting me forget everything else.

Reply to
John W. Fawcett

No kidding, Einstein. My post makes that *very* clear. Glad *you* finally caught on.

No, that's not the point you conceded. Evidently, you haven't quite overcome your reading comprehension problem yet. Look at Cook County, Illinois to help you understand the difference between "most counties" and "majority of the population".

I've known that for a long time. Glad *you* finally caught on.

Doug Miller

It's a quote from the Simpsons' TV show... Mr. Burns talking to Homer about something or other.

Sorry. I have no idea why I said that particular thing.

A jib is a small triangular sail that's suspended ahead of the foremast on a big sailing ship, incidentally, I think.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

This is one honkin' long thread. A good portion of us lost the hour we gained last Sunday, and then some.

Go figure.

DST was Ben Franklin's idea. You can all get even by cleansing your wallets of all those bills with his picture on them..... you can mail them to me, I'll take care of 'em.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

"Ben Franklin... the only President of the United States who was

*never* President of the United States."

;-)

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

... snip

Wow, I've been here almost 5 years and didn't know that. Got my "learned something new today" out of the way a little late today. Thanks.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

lol

Probably. Just looking at my subject headers it looks like you are carrying on quite a conversation with yourself!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:08:55 GMT, Tom Watson scribbled

If you were here, you would wake up some morning in late April and not go to bed until August. :-)

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

--

A couple years ago I came across a study that showed exactly what you postulate. Productivity decreases while accidents (industrial, automobile) increase in the week following the time change, (more so in the spring after losing an hour of sleep).

I would love to see us dispense with this nonsense, and I don't much care at which point we S*&%#@N it, just stop with the F&*%@#G changing of the G#$-%@!N clocks already.

Reply to
Kai Seymour