zipper slider replacement success, how to prevent future happenings?

Well, just to update my prior thread on possible zipper slider replacement, the Sailrite coil zipper slider arrived today and within minutes my coat was now zippering properly again! Luckily, I saved the zipper stop from the end and then just clamped it around the top once again with the needle nose pliers. My sincere thanks to groups members who kindly tried to help, much appreciated!

Now, a new question, when I wash & dry this and my other coat(s), how do I prevent the same zipper slider detachments, lost zipper slider handles, etc? I picked up a washing bag recently, but seems a little small (15 x 18 inch I believe), but not sure that's the answer and not sure about the dryer. I have read in the past that coats should be fully zipped up while washing or drying but on something like my puff jacket, I have to dry it twice if I dry zipped up. Sorry, lots of questions squeezed in here.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Jim Horton

Jim-

I have never heard that coats should be dried zipped. If that were true, then ANYTHING with a zipper would need to be zipped!

Was it just one bad zipper, or have you had it happen other times? I do not recall ever having a zipper go bad that way.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

No, that bag is for girl's undewear, and angora sweaters. I think I had some men's thing I used such a bag for but not a coat.

I never dry anything except at the coldest temperature (not counting air only.) Even the lowest temp seems pretty hot to me. Ithink hotter than that may ruin sta-press and other things, and it doesn't take very long even at the low temp.

Reply to
micky

I've heard that for other things, not sure why.

there are more.

Oh, it's to protect the other clothes from being snagged or ripped by the zipper.

Me neither. I've had teeth come lose from the side, but never a problem with the slider. Although they do sell replacements so maybe I don't wear enough zippers to gather good data.

Reply to
micky

I have had both brass and nylonzipper sliders go on coats in particular.Leather jacket (brass) and 2 winter "parkas" - both Nylon IIRC. Paid to fix the brass one and bought repair tabs for the nylon.

Reply to
Clare Snyder