Quart of Drain Oil down my pants leg - How to clean?

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote in news:jg31ia1hh4gtn4imld65epdslgev4mabfq@

4ax.com:

They're just blue jeans. Throw them away. It's not worth the time and trouble to clean them.

(This is why I save worn-out or torn jeans -- so that I'll have something to wear while changing oil, that I won't worry about throwing away if I have a spill.)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wash them first in solvent to remove the thick, stinky oil. Then wash with Dawn in hot water in a bucket outside. Mabee twice. Then launder as usual.

Reply to
clare

Hand cleaner? A full jug of Dawn in a gallon or two bucket overnight? Now you have jeans to wear while doing those jobs. My mom just used gas way back when.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I was just changing the differential oil in my tractor (90W gear lube). When I picked up the drain pan, I tripped and poured about a quart down my pants leg, and on to my boots. What a f---ing mess!!!!

The boots were rubber so a little gasoline on a paper towel cleaned that up. It soaked thru my pants so my leg was all oily. Dawn dish soap cleaned that up, but the pants (blue jeans) are soaked.

Aside from tossing them in that garbage, how might I clean them? I wont even consider putting them in the washing machine, or I'll probably spend hours cleaning the machine afterwards.

Anyone have any idea how to clean the pants?

I did think about wetting them outdoors and scrubbing the oily parts with Dawn detergent, then hosing them off outdoors, and letting them dry in the sun? Otherwise I am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Varsol A lot safer than gas and just as effective. Might want to use fuel oil to remove the heavy oil first at the price of varsol (just bought some today - $5 for a US quart, $11+ for a gallon

Reply to
clare

+1
Reply to
Tony Hwang

that is what Laundromats are for.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Yes, people today have work clothes, even for working around their own house, and sports clothes. We just had old clothes.

Reply to
micky

I'd ask permission first. They might not want that. But they might not miind also. He'd be paying for a whole load and probably just doing one pair of pants.

Reply to
micky

"I done ran into my baby And finally found my old blue jeans. Well I could tell they was mine From the oil and gasoline."

'Blue Jean Blues' ZZ Top

Reply to
rbowman