how to clean lining of Barbour waxed jacket?

My good old Barbour Border is getting a bit funky inside. How does one clean the tartan fabric if the jacket cannot be put in the washer?

Thanks, all...

Jon

Reply to
jklwood

Isn't this merely a "feature" of a well worn Barbour? ;-)

On a more helpful note how about some sort of "mousse" carpet type cleaner?

Or I've had quite some success cleaning grubby unremovable upholstery fabric with a steam cleaner. Old toweling fitted over the team outlet to soak up the scunge lifted by the steam. That may or may not make a great deal of sense :-) If you have a suitable steamer then maybe you'll know what I mean.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

How about...wait for it... yes you've guessed...your local high street cleaners. yaaaay!

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

One way is to send it back to Barbour. If you have elbow wear etc. they do an _excellent_ repair service and they come back nice and clean too.

Otherwise [*] I've been known to stick them through the spare washing machine (the one for overalls) and then just re-proof them afterwards.

For general light crud, I lay them flat out on the garage concrete drive and scrub them with carpet shampoo and a scrubbing brush, then line-dry them.

[*] "The cat's being car-sick"

'Stick him on my wax jacket. We'll clean it up later'

'I meant on the _wax_ side of my jacket'

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I never bother with mine (it's a Belstaff not a Barbour, but the principle is the same). I imagine you could hand wash it with soap and water without having to reproof it - turn it inside out, put it on and take a shower :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

You Cannot put a Barbour in the dry cleaners!

Reply to
Terri

Too late - they did, and they died from it. Their funeral was 15 years ago.

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

This is the BEST. Using a white face cloth, saturate it with Oxiclean Automotive upolstry and carpet cleaner foam. DO NOT spray the lining directly. Scrub with the face cloth until you're satisfied. Allow to air dry. It leaves a pleasant clean smell

Reply to
Dan