OT: Taxidermy and pets

Why?! Why would you want your beloved pet sat dead in front of you?

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Pillock.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ol' Push-Huppy or The-Basset-Hassock makes a dandy footstool ! He looks quite "fetching" with the TV clicker in his mouth ; secret hidey-place under each ear ; and I'll let you guess where we put the bottle opener .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I was thinking that, but apparently it's very difficult to taxidermy a human. You can't get the skin to look right. Fur is good a hiding cuts made in the taxidermy process, and any skin discolouration and wrinkles.

I do like the idea that some tribes have of leaving a head of a dead enemy on a stick to ward off further enemies though.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Wasn't that natural death? If a polar bear got them, they'd have been eaten with no remains.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Fussy aren't we? Bears manage without cooking humans.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

When I was a kid a friend's grandmother had Fluffy stuffed. Old Fluffer was curled up in the corner of the living room. I thought the mutt just slept a lot until Jay let me in on the secret. The old girl didn't move too much more than the dog but she did speak occasionally. In Irish, generally. It was an odd family.

Reply to
rbowman

It's been suggested it wasn't a polar bear chowing down...

Condensed version.

Reply to
rbowman

All Irish are odd.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Well that was well planned wasn't it? "the entire crew died of starvation, hypothermia, tuberculosis, lead poisoning, and scurvy." How can an expedition die of FIVE things?!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Diversity. Change the coordinating conjunction and it does read better.

Reply to
rbowman

At least the Irish don't eat a sheep's gut stuffed with other random parts of the sheep.

Reply to
rbowman

Do you know how its done? You pull out all the innards completely, then using photos and info from the owner, you construct a frame of the major places where you need to stretch the skin over. You then use a filling, often some kind of natural stuffing used in old style sofas, but can be modern. You then try to make the animal look as natural as possible and stitch it up, Often eyes teeth etc, need to be made to match. Its actually quite interesting. I'm not saying I'd do it, but I suppose to some its a comfort. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I know how it's done. What I'm questioning is why anyone would want their dead pet sat in front of them. Would you want a dead person in your room, reminding you of them every minute of the day?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

And for some reason greenies want to preserve these nasty animals.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You're using fancy posh terminology I don't understand.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Very few Scots do that, also very few wear skirts anymore.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

If your name is Norman Bates, yes.

Reply to