UK electric service

Apparently the UK electric service is not as safe as "the knife" would have us believe.

Mary Poppins

It doesn't sound like the fridge caused the problem.

Even if it was a "Hotpoint" ;-)

The article says they are looking at the construction and maintenance of the building now. In the US a multifamily dwelling like that would have required fire stopping between units and sprinklers. I bet we still have old ones built before modern regulations that don't tho. My wife is building a 4 unit building now and the fire containment and suppression is impressive.

Reply to
gfretwell

ANY tumble drier is at risk of fire if not properly maintainedand kept clean. LInt is flamable. Period. It is also very fine and intrusive, and it also builds up like felt in ductwork - particularly that flexible shit many people think is suitable for venting driers - but also metal ducting that is attached with sheet metal screws (and if 1 is good,4 or5 is obetter - right??)

Driers are to be vented with aluminum or galvanized ductwork, joined with aluminum duct sealing tape - nice smooth inner surface with nothing to catch lint - and as short and straight a run toi the outside as possible.

Also make sure the exit does not get plugged (many have a "screen" to keep critters out - which definitely needs to be kept cleared.)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

What does that have to do with the fire you referenced?

I am very familiar with who Whirlpool is.

Reply to
gfretwell

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

My wife introduced me to the fact that dryer vents needed to be cleaned. I never had one growing up and before I got into emergency services.

Reply to
Tekkie®