OT: Smart TV or not

Hi, I noticed they released newer model 2D/3D 2K/4K Blue Ray DVD player with WiFi. When it is connected to dumb TV set, it performs the function of smart TV like web surfing, music or video streaming, movie watching, etc. Instead of replacing TV, I ordered one of those player last night. Only 200.00, lot less money than replacing dumb TV set. Now I can wait until UHD TV set price settles down.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think saving your money and buying a TV that does not have streaming features and buying a separate video/network player is the smart way to go. Much more flexible.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Who makes it? Who sells it?

This might be what I need, but I'm not sure. Is it? Right now I have a DVDR feeding 8 tvs in 7 rooms and the attic. I thought a smart tv would be great, since it would receive wifi programming, but since the tvs have no output jacks afaict (except for sound) they won't relay the programs they receive to any other tv, and to watch the program I'd have to stay in the room with the smart tv.

Will this DVD player with wifi receive via Wifi whatever the smart tv would?? and then output it to my chain of tv's?? Like the DVDR does.

That would be great if it did that.

I have an A-B switch to switch from the DVDR to a VCR. I could add a second A-B switch (maybe one with remote control) or get an A-B-C switch, or demote the VCR to unconnectable (least likely choice)

Do you think my plan would actually work?

Reply to
micky

And you can get one of these to be able to control the setup from another room. I don't know about for 8 rooms.

Of course, you should have an extra remote for each extender.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Okay.

Makes sense.

Okay, I can wait. Thanks.

Reply to
micky

Is the wi-fi in the thing a receiver or broadcaster? In other words, what's the purpose of the WiFi? Is it just a way to connect the TV to the cable TV cable but thru wifi? Does teh "box" have a built in web browser of some kind so that you can push a button on the remote and surf your way to youtube (what would you use for the keyboard??)

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's so you can watch netflix, youtube.. etc. it connects to your router. My son just bought one... he didn't want a smart TV but I saw a Samsung

55 smart tv on sale... and it does a lot of neat things that he didn't want but wound up playing with as soon as he set it up.
Reply to
woodchucker

The "Smart TV" I bought for one of the bedrooms doesn't seem to even have a guide. I hope smarter ones do.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Those are good questions, that I should have asked. I asked a friend last night about her smart tv, and she said the remote that came with it included a keyboard, and the tv was a computer ( with a web browser, connected to her network with wifi), that could navigate to webpages, so one could watch any video that was on the web. That's what I want.

If these DVD players don't have a keyboard/mouse remote, I don't see how they can have the abilities of a smart tv like my friend's.

Reply to
micky

I agree. I bought a smart Samsung TV a year ago. The TV part is fine; but accessing the internet or streaming services is slow electronically and slow because of the awkward way the URLs, etc. have to be entered via the keyboard on the remote. A separate device which can be more easily and less expensively replaced when better ones are on the market is the way to do it. I've even found it faster and easier to stream via Wi-Fi and an iPad and plug the iPad into the TV.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

My wife and I recently bought a Samsung (32") Smart TV as well. For less than $350 it has an excellent picture and features. An extra 30 bucks for a wireless keypad is a huge improvement over using the remote for a mouse/keyboard. As the tv is in our bedroom, it is very rarely used for interent surfing... but's it's a nice option. Plug in the dongle and the tv pics up on the keyboard instantly.

83LowRider

I have had a PC hooked up to the TV in the living room for at least a dozen years. It started out just as an MP3 player, using the TV for the monitor and as online content became available it became a full media center. Just about any Pentium you have laying around will be fast enough for this. Add a blue tooth keyboard and pointing device and you have full chair side control. Put a TV capture card in it and you have full recording capability from your cable/satellite provider. (but you will need a better PC, dual core 3gz or so) I have not seen the need to record streams but I assume that software is out there.

Reply to
gfretwell