OT: Kids and coffee etc

What is it with Americans avoiding giving kids coffee? Or alcohol? Or letting them out after dark? Are American children somehow intolerant to everything in the real world?

The kids aren't, but the current generation of parents are making them that way. Things we did on a regular bases are now bad and parents are neglectful.
We used to travel miles from home on our bikes and now if a kid goes 2 blocks to a playground the police will be at the door after the parents. We have a generation of sissies coming up.

It's sort of like that here in the UK for a lot of parents, but it's not enforced or frowned upon so much if you don't "protect them". For example I know quite a few folk who let their kids drink wine. In France they all do. Also, although officially smacking your child is illegal, half of parents still do it. I've seen it in a supermarket, without anyone batting an eyelid. Mainly I think people are just glad the little shit stops making a noise.
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 21:16:00 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"

It will get you arrested in the U.S. I wouldn't want to raise kids here given our current culture.
On 6/11/2017 5:03 PM, CRNG wrote:

Both my kids got a well deserved smack on the butt at about 4 years old. Made my point, never had to do it again. That was 45 years ago but I'd do it again in my house, not in public.

I think the best idea is a combination of smacking and yelling. Yelling means you obey or you get smacked.
--
"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking,
How come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Bill Connolly

Assholes yell. In my family extreme quiet was when you'd better worry.

I was always told "and that's final". Which I thought was rare, but I've heard it on American TV programs.
--
A note left for a pianist from his wife: "Gone Chopin, have Liszt, Bach in a Minuet."

On 06/11/2017 03:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My mother took a swipe at me with a paddle ball paddle. Missed me, hit the door frame, broke the paddle, and got a sliver for her trouble. That took care of that.

It tended to be me that broke things in temper. My dad would yell at me for something and I'd slam the door in his face. I did it on holiday in Butlins once and the mirror on the door shattered.
--
Confucius say: "War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

Right. In public will get you arrested. This is america.

Have you become a communist country where all the kids belong to the state?
--
After Christmas vacation, an elementary school teacher was asking her students how they celebrated Christmas.
When she got to Sammy, whose father ran a local toy store, she said, "Sammy, since you're Jewish, I guess your family didn't celebrate Christmas."

IMO yes. Everyone belongs to the state. It's not like it was 60 years ago. That America is gone.

I thought you'd always stayed more capitalist than the UK. Until that Obama came along, you didn't have free healthcare for a start.
--
Gargoyle (n), olive-flavored mouthwash.

We still don't. The idea was never free healthcare, just forcing more people so sign up with private health care insurers. However the insurers soon found out it wasn't the big payday they expected and are dropping out.

I thought it was like our NHS. This seems to include the word "subsidies".... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act
--
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.

The subsidies are in the form of tax credits. There is a tranche where you don't make enough to get a subsidy and make too much to get Medicaid. The technical term for that is 'screwed'. There are also penalties if you do not have insurance coverage to try to force everyone to buy insurance. That was on shaky legal ground but John Roberts, a supposedly conservative Supreme Court justice, explained to the Democrats what they really meant to say so it would be legal.
On Mon 12 Jun 2017 09:35:54p, rbowman told us...

I'm glad that I was already on Medicare and a relatively inexpensive suppplemental insurance plan before all this started. Of course, anything could change in the future.

You bet... I am still working so the year I switched from my employer's plan to Medicare was a wash as far as expense and coverage. Post Affordable Care Act, it's a no-brainer. The deductibles have increased to what used to be called disaster insurance and even with that the premiums have increased markedly.
On Tue 13 Jun 2017 09:42:57a, rbowman told us...

I switched to medicare 5 years before I retired at 70. In my cse the Medicare + my supplementa was substantially cheaper than the insurance through my employer. That was true for David, too, and during that span of time he went through two major surgeries which had $0 cost. On his company's plan the deductible and co-pay would hve been substantial. We have both had several mri's and other scans that would have had $1500 copays each on our company insurance. Nada with Medicarel