OT: Kids and coffee etc

On Mon 12 Jun 2017 03:56:53a, Frank told us...

When I was a youngster I was never invited to have coffee at home, although I think my parents would have said it was okay. They were okay with offering me a small glass of wine at Sunday dinner.

During summer vacations I would usually head over to my best friend's house after his mother had gone to work. We would sit in the kitchen and drink several cups of coffee before going out to ride our bikes. My dad drank black coffee, my mother drank coffee with cream. At my friend's house it was always black coffee with sugar.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Have you become a communist country where all the kids belong to the state?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's the closest newsgroup I'm subscribed to to this topic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I found coffee revolting, and hot drinks don't quench my thirst, they just make me thirstier. But my friend when I were a lad had a bar in his house (his parents were Irish). Free alcohol of any type (and a pool table).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, but often it's a UK-based question which is pointless asking in here.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I was always told "and that's final". Which I thought was rare, but I've heard it on American TV programs.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It tended to be me that broke things in temper. My dad would yell at me for something and I'd slam the door in his face. I did it on holiday in Butlins once and the mirror on the door shattered.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'll consume any drink which contains alcohol, and always have done. For some reason my friends found it astonishing that I could drink rum with nothing added.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:12:47 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in

IMO yes. Everyone belongs to the state. It's not like it was 60 years ago. That America is gone.

Reply to
CRNG

I thought you'd always stayed more capitalist than the UK. Until that Obama came along, you didn't have free healthcare for a start.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

151 shots? Been there, done that.
Reply to
rbowman

We still don't. The idea was never free healthcare, just forcing more people so sign up with private health care insurers. However the insurers soon found out it wasn't the big payday they expected and are dropping out.

Reply to
rbowman

No idea what that means, I drank it straight from the bottle.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I thought it was like our NHS. This seems to include the word "subsidies"....

James Wilkinson Sword

151 Proof rum. Usually used to flambe rather than drink.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The subsidies are in the form of tax credits. There is a tranche where you don't make enough to get a subsidy and make too much to get Medicaid. The technical term for that is 'screwed'. There are also penalties if you do not have insurance coverage to try to force everyone to buy insurance. That was on shaky legal ground but John Roberts, a supposedly conservative Supreme Court justice, explained to the Democrats what they really meant to say so it would be legal.

Reply to
rbowman

On Mon 12 Jun 2017 09:35:54p, rbowman told us...

I'm glad that I was already on Medicare and a relatively inexpensive suppplemental insurance plan before all this started. Of course, anything could change in the future.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 12 Jun 2017 09:42:44p, rbowman told us...

Oops!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

151 proof, 75.5% alcohol. You probably won't make it through a bottle. I can tell you from experience that it will dissolve the paint on a faux marble mantlepiece.
Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, I got flambeed on it once or twice...

Reply to
rbowman