OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Very absurd. All states should have the same laws.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

We have a number of roads where 45 was considered sensible for years. Then one day the county put up shiny new 35 mph signs. Can you make the distinction between 35 and 40? If not, the county deputies are standing by to help you.

I suppose you don't scan your mirrors either?

Reply to
rbowman

I've heard of one where they had to fit larger wheels so the headlights were at the correct minimum height. In the UK we only have a maximum height.

The fitting of larger wheels actually ruined the handling and made the car more dangerous. Health and softy shooting itself in the foot.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

As Hillary Clinton said, this isn't Denmark. Somebody has to work so the CEO of Bank of America can get 13 million a year.

Reply to
rbowman

I have explained my opinions very clearly, and have had decades of experience in the automotive technical field, as well as years of experience in competive motorsport and millions of miles of driving on the roads of North America (All provinces of Canada and half the states of the USA) as well as both Europe and Africa (south central and west)

Reply to
clare

Around hear most Claires are female. Clare is the short form for Clarence. I know MANY Clares - and virtually ALL of them are male.

Reply to
clare

We have halogen for the headlights, but not for brakes, tails, indicators, etc.

I changed a headlight when I hit a deer with it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You do realise your eye has an iris which works like the aperture in a camera?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

If it was sensible then, it's sensible now.

No, I don't have tunnel vision. I can see the police car in the mirror out of the corner of my eye, and then I look at the speedo.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

That explains why you believe your opinion has more value, but you still haven't explained the opinion.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Clarence is a very old male name, and I've never heard anyone shorten it to Clare, it would sound female.

You've got it backwards anyway: "Clare is a given name, the Medieval English form of Clara.[1] The related name Clair was traditionally considered male, especially when spelled without an 'e',[2] but Clare and Claire are usually female." --

Mr Macaw

Not all roads are "devided coachways" like your motorways. There are millions of miles of "2 lane blacktop" in the world - and a whole lot of them are in North America (also lots of it in Europe and Africa - as well as the rest of the world) Without seeing approaching cars, pulling out to pass can be a very deadly move.

Most definitely 2 vehicles meeting at 50kph. The same as 100kph into a solid brick wall.

But that is NOT the issue. It is the amount of time you have to react. You are just as dead when you hit at 100 as you are at 190. The secret is in NOT being dead.. Closing speed is not as important as closing TIME.

And it is still going to happen in twice the time as if he was aproaching you.

Reply to
clare

Not only can the average motorist not make the connection, nore can an instrument like a "scanguage" or the fuel mileage monitors built into many of today's cars - but in a lot of peoples "minds" there is a large savings.

Never mind trying to convince them with facts - their minds are already firmly set.

Reply to
clare

No, the rational for the "high level brake light" was it can be seen over or through the car ahead of you, giving more warning about what is going on ahead. You can't see the brake lights of the vehicles 2 or

3 cars ahead through the solid bodies of the vehicles between you and the vehicle braking.

You CAN see the high mounted brake light.

Reply to
clare

Per Ed Pawlowski:

Trust me, I translated....

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

LOL. Not return receipt. There's some service that would email me when he opened his email, but it was free only for 30 days and expensive after that, given that this is the first time in 20 years I wanted to use it.

I''ve never had an emergency during office hours. Medical or dental, they are always Friday night.

He does have a receptionist during office hours.

Change the wire to the fuse? Do you know how much effort that is? Of if you mean run a wire from the hot end of one fuse to the cold end of the other fuse, that's a lot of effort too. I'm looking for a way to turn the lights on when the engine is off, just like all cars worked until 1995. Not a whole project.

To see how well the lights are working, to see if changing a bulb really fixed it, etc.

There are two sensors and I've forgotten which is which. I suspect if your method, turning the switch off and on, works, it will work day and night.

Reply to
Micky

But it would be more convenient for me!

Just kidding. Your reason makes sense.

Reply to
Micky

So how did you know?

I don't think I have a 24 hour number. FFS just take a painkiller and phone them in the morning! It's toothache not a heart attack.

My vet has a 24/7 number, a pet could be in danger of dying. You don't die of toothache.

Virtually none. Takes about as long as changing a wheel.

No, just change the hot end of the fuse to the other input. There's 2 inputs to a fusebox, one is only on with the ignition, the other comes straight from the battery. There will be unused fuse containers, use one of those if it's easier.

AFAIK all Vauxhalls do that anyway. Bloody annoying as you can more easily run the battery flat. Plus when I park the car for two minutes and don't turn the lights off, I've got a parked car dazzling people unnecessarily. I already removed the bleeping thing in anger that warns me I dared to open the door and left the lights on.

Just turn on the ignition?

If I ever got a car that decided itself when it was dark, I'd disable it immediately, or at least adjust it to when I think it's dark.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

They sent me an email.

I've never had a toothache, and until this past year, I'd never had any other dental emergency, but if something happens on Friday evening, I'm not going to wait until Monday.

That's what 24 hour dentists are for.

When I lived in NY, on a Sunday afternoon, I went with my girlfriend to the apt. of a friend of hers, and his girlfriend had had a toothache since Friday or Saturday, getting worse and worse. She couldn't eat, could barely talk. I said, Why don't you go to the dentist! They said, Monday. I said, Why don't you go now? It's Sunday. I said, That's what 24 hour dentists are for.

So NYC has over 2 million people, not counting the other boros (and why count them?) and in the yellow pages were about 20 24-hour dentists. One of us called them one by one and learned that the first seven didnt' do that anymore. Because they only do that until they get enough patients to keep busy. No one wants to be bothered on weekends or the middle of the night. But the 8th guy said come on over. It took less than 30 minutes for her and her boyfriend to get there, less than 30 minutes for the dentist to fix her. and she was back in less than 90 minutes. And he didnt' charge any more than her regular dentist would have charged, or maybe 10% more.

Most dentists have emergency numbers. This one did too. It's just that HE was the only dentist reachable at the emergency number and he wasnt' always reachable.

If you really think that is the right answer, why did you just spend several lines explaining your much too difficult way to turn the lights on without the engine.

I like it. And while I've thought about making the intermittent wiper wipe less often, I've been fully satisfied with the light sensor.

Reply to
Micky

Ah, I'd seen that a couple of times. I always thought the lamp ass'y was *loose* and bouncing around as the bike hit bumps in the road (though I couldn't *tell* that there were bumps -- or not -- just "that must be what's causing the light to bounce around!"

And, no doubt, they were *angry* that you CREPT UP so close behind them!

I *try* to be aware of what's around me. And, what *their* problems are likely to be.

E.g., you won't see me in the "road sheep" role (clinging in another driver's blind spot -- speeding up and slowing down to *ensure* that relationship remains constant). If driving next to a carload of little kids, I'll expect "Mommy" to turn around to scold one of them WHILE driving. When passing a truck, I'll be sure I've seen his *eyes* in his mirror as I head past. etc.

People take too many things in life as if they were "rides" at DisneyLand; as if they were not responsible for how the "ride" operated; that someone or something would magically keep them safe (from themselves).

Reply to
Don Y