OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Judging by his earlier post re the condition of what he calls a car he drives on the roads of the UK, I doubt he even HAS functional mirrors.

I honestly wonder if he even has a legitimate driver's licence.

Reply to
clare

Would you have hit the dear deer if it had had it's lights on? Or do you routinely hit things you can see entering the roadway??

Reply to
clare

Sure do but when you are taking a picture you are not travelling at

100kph through mixed sunlight and shadow, taking a picture of a subject doing the same coming towards you that you are not expecting to be in the picture, generally speaking. And not seeing something in the picture doesn't mean you will end up dead and demolished because you didn't see it.

Pulling out to pass on 2 lane blacktop tends to have serious consequenses when that unseen object ends up in your "viewfinder" just after you "click the shutter"

Reply to
clare

I don't know. Start when you are young and stupid? I was never too comfortable flying and gave it up eventually even though I intellectually realize it's a lot safer than bikes. In fact the guy who taught me to fly was an ag pilot as was his father. Despite parking a few planes in a tree, which is one of the occupational hazards of ag flying, his father was killed on a motorcycle. It's definitely not rational.

Reply to
rbowman

Well, given that most of our states are bigger than your *country*, I guess it would be comparable to saying Brits, French, Danes, Swedes, Germans, Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, Austrians,... (you get the picture; I think I've named less than half the land area of the USA) should have the same laws, same language, same currency, same *leader*, etc.?

Given that Europe had a long headstart on these things (vs our ~300 years), you'd figure you'd already have ALL of that down pat, eh?

Good luck convincing the rest of the Continent!

Reply to
Don Y

They're tooling up for the Brexit. Maybe. I feel sorry for the Danes trying to figure out what the Brits will do next. They only joined the EEC because the UK did and aren't the most enthusiastic EU members. They're still using the krone rather than the euro too.

Reply to
rbowman

Photos of hisself taped to the places where the mirror glass *should* be!

Reply to
Don Y

I wish all OTR drivers thought the same way you do. Too many ARE on a tight schedule - they have to have their load at the dock between 3:15 and 4:00 pm tomorrow, and to keep your logbook legal you cannot lose 20 minutes in the next 14 hours or you have to stop for the mandated rest period - meaning you will be a few hours late. I have 2 brothers who made their living as OTR drivers for many years. One is currently either running the ice road in northern Sakatchewan or waiting for the road to open, and the other took his own life last year.

Reply to
clare

I used to love riding the bike - I had an Ex Police Honda that I was thinking about riding across Africa and Europe coming back from Zambia until a friend lost his life on his brand new 750-4 when he hit a Honda 90 that pulled out in front of him. The 90 driver lost his leg. My friend lost most of his skull sliding down the pavement -after destroying the helmet he had on his head.

Somehow motorcycle riding has never been the same for me since. Sure - I've owned a few bikes since, and did some local driving - but I've never had the desire to do any long distancr riding since and have not actually driven a motorcycle in the last almost 20 years.

Hoping to have my pilots license by the time the Pegazair is ready to fly - - -

Reply to
clare

My older brother owns his own rig and travels all over the place. Makes a good living at it.

Reply to
Muggles

I had an uncle who took me for a motor cycle ride around his neighborhood when I was a teen. Scared some sense into me, and never got on another one since then.

Reply to
Muggles

awe I'm so sorry for your loss clare. :(

Reply to
Muggles

My dad, in his younger days, rode a Harley and had a group of guys he rode with for a while. One of his buddies had an accident and when off the side of a mountain. The next day he said he sold his bike and never rode again.

Reply to
Muggles

The computers weren't around when I was driving so logbooks were a work of art. In the US, you could only be on for 10 hours.

The guys are felt sorry for were the east coast drivers. Most of their stuff was short hauls from city to city. Screw around all day getting loaded, drive all night to get there for a morning delivery, screw around all day getting loaded... I don't know when they ever slept.

Reply to
rbowman

You can if you know what you're doing. A lot of owner operators are good drivers but poor businessmen.

Reply to
rbowman

Per Mr Macaw:

I don't think so.... Back in the day guys who worked in, for instance, steel mills and automobile assembly plants owned houses and sent their kids through college.

Nowadays my impression is that most non-professional/non-technical workers are living paycheck-to-paycheck.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I see you're not a Yorkshireman.

Doesn't explain the prevalence of brand new BMWs all over the place.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

While riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, if you're smart, as a rider you know people in cars often don't see you or ignore you. I rode for years and really enjoyed it. There's a freedom to it that not much else on the road gives you. I raced for some time, until I ran into a tree

Reply to
SeaNymph

Per rbowman:

I'd also worry about black ice.

Busted my butt once on a 40-ish morning riding my MTB into the shadow of a building where the off-camber wet blacktop wasn't wet any more.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

A long time ago we hit black ice turning into a restaurant parking lot. There was a puddle at the entrance where cars had spread out the water and it turned into black ice. We didn't see it in time and ended up sliding into the curb and bending our front axle.

Reply to
Muggles