OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 02/17/2016 09:31 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Possibly. At least in the US it is an archaic system laid down in the '30s. If you can find the 1940 film 'They Drive By Night' with Bogart, that's what the laws were written for. Not quite the same as driving down the interstate with the cruise control set to 65, the air conditioning cranked up, and good tunes on the mp3 player.
Per rbowman:

My takeaway from reading interviews with various OTR drivers is that their primary worry is falling asleep at the wheel - and they have a number of strategies for dealing with that, CB radio conversations and singing to oneself among them.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 02/18/2016 07:09 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Books on tape were okay but if you got too engrossed in the story that could be bad too. Crank up the radio or tape. I was crossing Iowa one night and the search on the radio was coming up dry. Finally it picked up a station that was playing a Bo Diddley cover
I'm a man I spell M-A-N A Christian man..
Oh shit... Seek...

Loud music makes me go to sleep.
--
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

On 2/18/2016 7:09 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Rock-a-bye baby, in the treetop When the wind blows, the cradle will rock When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall...

I've found that driving keeps me awake.
--
My ex-wife was temperamental.
90% temper and 10% mental.

My kid brother told a cop one time when he was questioned about talking on the CB, and handsfree telephone "you don't really want me driving WITHOUT distractions, do you???" as he was motoring across Sakatchewan - - -

WTF?
--
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs

On 02/26/2016 01:24 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

You can't really understand if you've never driven across Saskatchewan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskatchewan#/media/File:Prairie_Rainbow_Canola_Flax.jpg
Now you've seen pretty much all there is to see and there's 405 miles of it.

So he was referring to the distractions as keeping him awake? Did the excuse work? I think the best way to keep awake is to drive fast.
--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...

On 02/27/2016 05:37 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Don't know. That was someone else who mentioned the kid brother.

Why? Back when there was no daylight speed limit in this state I'd cruise at around 100. If I had a Hayubusa it would have been closer to 140. You get from a to b faster but it's no more interesting.

I'm not talking about interest, I'm talking about the things you have to do. If you're going twice as fast, there's twice as much information to process, and twice as mcuh stuff to do with the controls. I have on occasion driven slowly on a motorway. I tried a long journey at 55mph for economy, and I went at 70 when I was running low on points on my license. On both occasions I felt myself nodding off due to absolute boredom. But driving at the usual speed of 100mph, I have enough to keep me occupied controlling the car.
--
Crazy Laws in towns of the state of Illinois:
The English language is not to be spoken.
On 02/27/2016 01:26 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Do what with the controls? The Harley has a poor man's speed control -- a screw that holds the throttle in position. I've been known to take my hands off the bars, stretch out my arms, and play airplane when I'm bored. Unless there are side winds, there's enough gyroscopic effect a bike will go straight forever and the road damn well does. You're in fifth, really wishing there was a sixth, so you're not going to be shifting for an hour or two. That's mostly because the tank on a Sportster isn't that big and you'll have to stop in Lame Mule for gas. Information to process? I never got into counting the prairie dogs in eastern Montana.

Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.
--
I just took a leaflet out of my mailbox, informing me that I can have sex at 75.
I'm so happy, because I live at number 71.
On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in the road.

Kid brother took out a herd of 16 or more with his rig one nignt.Blood, guts, and antelope shit all over the truck and pretty much destroyed the fiber-glass hood.

I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing male at about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two by the pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror. Intestines all over the engine bay, it stank for ages. I was stopped by the police a month later with the car in pretty much the same state, but the numberplate had split right through and was hanging off. I was told off because my numberplate might come loose and kill someone. I said that only happens in the movies and he lost his temper.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/welvh9v6yu7522x/Deer%20car%20damage.jpg?dl=0
On 02/28/2016 07:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Obviously, you weren't alert and careful :) Wildlife, and on the open range, domestic stock are a problem unless you're riding a bicycle. I'm sure if you look hard enough there have been deer versus bicycle accidents too.
I had one who had safely crossed the two travel lanes and was standing on the grass median. When I was about 50 yards away he suddenly remembered he'd left something where he came from. Since I was driving a Kenworth it was 'THUNK! thunk, thunk, thunk, sorry Bambi.' That was back when the bumpers were steel and it did bend it a bit.
On 2/28/2016 8:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

My son nearly hit a deer a few weeks ago, and avoiding it he ended up jumping a ditch and someones driveway in the process. It took like $11,000 to repair the damage and 3 weeks to get it done.
--
Maggie

Why do people buy vehicles that expensive? Or was most of the damage to the driveway? Surely a wall doesn't cost anything like that much.
--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the fuck happened.