Cars should cut out if they run out of vital fluids!

Why don't cars switch themselves off if they run out of oil or coolant? It is funny watching them try to keep going though.

A computer will shut down or throttle if the CPU overheats, yet car manufacturers don't have a clue.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

they rely on a good male driver....a wummin will just keep going

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Do you glance at your instruments every 30 seconds? Because that's how long before engine damage.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Good video.

I would have liked to see if any of them after refilled with fluids would restarted.

Reply to
ARW

You mean a really modern car. This tech should have been in cars 50 years ago. If it can put up a warning light, it can shut itself off.

Yes, because it's much safer to let the engine seize so you skid off the road into oncoming traffic. For f*ck's sake! A loss of power is not dangerous, it's the safest thing to do!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I'm assuming not. Them failing to run was presumably due to something warping.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Modern cars do shut down certain functions on detecting conditions. Limp home on half the cylinders for instance.

Reply to
alan_m

Do you think aircraft engines should automatically shut down if they overheat or run out of fluids?

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Reply to
John J

my engine temp guage is ni farenheit ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

A loss of power (or a complete engine-off) *is* dangerous if it occurs at the wrong moment.

I had a very narrow escape. My car had been driving perfectly with no sign from warning lights or the ECU messages on the display or any change in how the car "felt". I came to pull out into traffic from a side road, having left a good long gap, and the engine lost power about 2 seconds after I had started to accelerate from rest up to the speed of the traffic I was joining.

Luckily I was able to hit the hazard switch very quickly to warn the HGV behind me that was rapidly closing on me, and pull over onto the verge. If the car had behaved as it normally did, I would have been going beyond the speed of the lorry. There was a bleep at the same time as the car lost power, and the ECU display changed - but I had my mind on other things ;-)

It turned out that the car has a "depollution pouch" (maybe something like AdBlue) which treats the exhaust gases to reduce the amount of NOx. When I got the car to "limp" to my local garage, they said that this pouch had burst. The ECU message said "depollution failure". It was a fairly straightforward (if not cheap) job for the garage to replace the pouch, but the car couldn't have picked a worse possible time to fail.

Reply to
NY

Slight difference, no engine in an aircraft means falling out of the sky, no engine in a car means slowing to a stop. Just how much further do you think you can drive when your engine is overheating? It can kill it in 30 seconds.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's actually quite a good idea, if roads moved like conveyor belts, there would be no pollution and no accidents.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Ok 50 seconds.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

indeed...but open to sabitage ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Not sure what you'd gain from sabotaging that, any more than anything else.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Scott Lurndal

This is common knowledge, unless it's a light aircraft. Pretty hard to bring a 747 down safely with no power. Even if you can, chances are, no runway big enough just there.

[repetition removed]

Ignore what? I got no warning.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only on posh new cars. This should have been invented decades ago.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That would make a great film, why has nobody done so?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey