Anaglypta - ready mix adhesive?

We've some tatty walls at work that I want to freshen up so will be going with Anaglypta.

Is it going to be an easier job if I use ready mixed wallpaper adhesive vs appropriately mixed paste? I've been reading horror stories about hanging this stuff but I have spare paste...

Reply to
R D S

Be aware that it can be an absolute bugger to strip off when eventually the time comes! My late wife spent many hours stripping off anaglypta when we moved into another house.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I doubt it will ever need removing. Not by us anyway :)

Reply to
R D S

You can get paste the wall varieties of Anaglypta type wall coverings these days.

This powered heavy duty "paste the wall paste" mixes very easily - stir for approx 60 seconds.

5 rolls per packet is "very" optimistic especially if used to size the walls first.

I've lined many of my wall with "paste the wall" lining paper and its much easier with heavy paper to do it this way. Smooth lining paper does not hide many large imperfections.

Reply to
alan_m

Its kind of like scraping off something between superglue and concrete. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Especially when covered with decades of gloss paint! That said, its durability and damage-masking is also a plus point, especially when you have young children!

Reply to
newshound

Its often easier to reskim over it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've only had to strip a hallway of old Anagylpta and found relatively easy. Despite numerous coats of paint it was never glued that well to the wall. However, afterwards I did have to spend considerable amount of time removing the remnants of distemper paint from the walls :) I assume the chalky surface of the wall sucked the moisture from the paste so the paper had a poor bond with the wall.

When I purchased the house all woodwork in the hall had been painted brown with a tar like varnish and all the hall walls a dark red. After a lot of work and when all was painted white the hall looked 4x larger.

Reply to
alan_m

I've used the blown vinyls (sold as Superglypta and the like) rather than Anaglypta. Stripping it is easy with those - lift a corner and pull and the layers separate, leaving just the backing, which can be left as a lining paper (assuming it doesn't tear or lift) or easily wetted and stripped, because any paint has come away with the top layers.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've also used blown vinyl, the soft surface is susceptible to damage so I wouldn't use it in high traffic areas (or a shop, where visiting kiddies would probably pick at it)

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's fairly tough once painted.

Reply to
Steve Walker

A steam paper remover works fine, first pass to soften, 2nd pass and you can peel it off.

As to adhesive .. always bought if boxed and mixed myself - cheaper.

Reply to
rick