OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Just about pulled out in front of a car with lights out early this morning. Not even parking lights. A few seconds earlier...

Why do these people drive with lights out? Save gas - engine runs easier without generating electricity for lights? Seems I've seen many more of them in the past year for some reason.

Breeding more of them in your area too?

Sorry to bother you all. Had to vent somewhere.

Reply to
KenK

My car is set to automatic and the lights go on and off as needed.

That said, if it's very dark, it's odd they don't notice that they can't see anything

Reply to
philo

This can't be much of a problem anymore, can it? The vast majority of cars on the road now have daytime lights on, ie if the car is running the lights are on. Not sure if it's a law though. Probably should be though.

Reply to
trader_4

It is a peeve of mine too. I figure it is just stupidity. Fortunately, many cars now have automatic lights that overcome dumb drivers.

Last week I was on the highway on a dark, rainy, early morning. The blind spot detection lit up. Since I was alone on the road I figured the rain was giving a false reading. Nope, some idiot with no lights on passed me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are so many absent minded jerks. One has to see and be seen on the road, specially dark colored cars. Another one, signal flashing on and on without changing lane or turning. Or not signalling at all. I can adjust auto light sensor sensitivity if I need to on my car.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, even with my lights in the "off" position there are still "running lights". I don't know if there is anyway to turn them off completely

Reply to
philo

What about tail lights? There are still many older cars/trucks on the road yet.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My car is more than ten years old, but yes, there are cars out there much older. At one time cars did not last very long

Reply to
philo

It doesn't have to be "much of a problem" to still be a problem when it occurs.

I wonder if "vast majority" is true. I've got high-trim level 2006 Honda Odyssey. Lot's of "fancy electronics" and features for the time. No day time running lights or automatic headlights though. (I always drive with my lights on , so I usually just leave them on since they go out by themselves 30 seconds after I park.)

Since the average age of cars on the road these days is about 11.4 years (roughly where my Ody lands) is it safe to say that the "vast majority" of cars on the road now have daytime running lights? I don't know...just curious.

"Average age of automobiles: The R.L. Polk Co., Average Age of Vehicles on the Road Remains Steady at 11.4 years, According to IHS Automotive, available at

as of May 26, 2015."

Agreed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bigger pet peeve for me are pedestrians wearing all black and running across the middle of the road at night, or bicyclists with no lights or reflectors.

Reply to
philo

The daylight running lights on my truck will turn off when the emergency brake is set. If I want to turn them off I just push the emergency brake pedal just far enough to turn off the lights but not enough to engage the brakes.

Reply to
Mr. Emann

That's what happens when idiots try to make the world so safe that nobody is at risk with anything.

I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Daytime running lights ore on by default. They can be turned off by request at the dealer. I imagine if the dealer can do it the owner could as well if they investigated.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Per KenK:

First thing I think of is people with much better night vision than I have don't notice the lack of lights for awhile.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

(sigh) We tend to have few/no street lights in much of the town.

Many "blocks" are very long. E.g., the crosswalks at the street onto which ours connects are probably 0.25 mi apart. So, folks really tend to avoid "crossing at the nearest crosswalk".

*And*, a population that seems to think that BLACK stands out well during DAYLIGHT so it *must* stand out well at NIGHT, as well!

As a result, we frequently have folks getting wacked by cars, in the roadway. Another killed just the other day (hit by one car, thrown into the opposite lane where hit by *another* car -- neither car cited for excessive speed, etc.).

Lots of candidates for Darwin Awards!

Reply to
Don Y

I would guess the most likely reason is that they don't remember to turn them on, don't feel the lack of them.

When I moved from the suburbs to the city, even in the middle of the night there was enough light to drive by and quite a few times I didn't turn my lights on. Because I didn't remember.

Less often as time went on, but this lasted a long time too, months or maybe years. Maybe times I was particularly distracted when starting the car.

Back in the suburbs again, I was so annoyed at people who didn't turn their lights on when it was raining, I was going to write my state reps. I didn't but they made it illegal anyhow. And then on a rainy day, I would forget to do what I wanted them to make compulsory.

The current car has daytime running lights but I don't like the car or the make.

Save gas - engine runs easier

Reply to
Micky

Per Gordon Shumway:

I like it....

On various prescription pills I get from the local pharmacy, I am starting to see the admonition "Take by mouth..".

My kneejerk reaction is "What do they think I'm going to do, shove them up my ass?"

Upon reflection I think there must be a lawyer/legal-action-based reason for that admonition.... right up there with the "Do not dive into the hot tub."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I've always thought that many people don't understand that sometimes the purpose of turning on your lights is not so that you can see but so others can see you.

Reply to
SeaNymph

KenK:

Their heads are obviously not about driving. No lights, and no blinkers are my biggest peeves.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I think it's just folks too absorbed in non-driving activities/thoughts to THINK about what they *should* be doing!

Why does a car need to *remind* you to put on your seat belt? Put car in park (if you turn off ignition before doing so)? Release parking brake? etc.

People have come to assume everything "does stuff" FOR them. So, they have no role/responsibility in the activity beyond the obvious (controlling the steering wheel!)

When looking at new cars, one of the salespeople commented about how she no longer uses her mirrors but, instead, RELIES on the blind spot detectors to tell her if she should NOT change lanes; the "radar" to tell her when she's about to back into something; etc.

"Hmmm... what roads do you drive -- so I know which ones to AVOID?!"

Reply to
Don Y