OT Idiot lights-out drivers

Actually, works great for *most* formulations -- *if* your goal is to get it into your bloodstream in the shortest amount of time!

Reply to
Don Y

Different attitude towards "government".

I can recall demoing some kit for some "ministry" official (details long lost) in the mid 70's. They sent a car to fetch me. "Please fasten your seat belt" "Oh, no thanks. I find them too confining..." "It's the law." "WTF?? You can't make me... (hmm... best not forget who I'm talking to!) I mean, Wow, that's interesting!"

Reply to
Don Y

What most detractors fail to realise is most DRLs run at half intensity.

Reply to
clare

The Oddity has an electronic display - right??

Reply to
clare

Perhaps in the days of thermoelectric flashers. Nowadays, when the flasher is a few lines of code, I don't think that is likely to be the case!

Reply to
Don Y

Wrong at least for my Toyota. The instrument display is always illuminated.

Reply to
rbowman

The reason DRLs are not mandatory in the USA is most Americans take extreme offense at their government telling them what to do.

Reply to
clare

Night time it just dims. Mirrors do the same. Gauge cluster illuminates when ign. is on, goes dark when ign. is off.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

They were not installed on many vehicles for the US market because many people were stupid enough to NOT BUY the vehicle with DRLs just because it had DRLs. That was the result of marketting studies done by Toyota and others. So Corollas built in Cambridge for the US market don't get the module installed - or have the function dissabled in the BCU

Not sure but I believe the same is true of the Civic built in Alliston Ontario for the US market.

Reply to
clare

And the "ignorance" of law enforcement officers

Reply to
clare

Most of the roads *in* town have 45-55MPH speed limits. It's only residential areas where it is reduced (to 25). Plus, we have these silly "suicide lanes" (center lane shared by both directions of traffic for left turns at places other than intersections) that add to the entertainment ("Gee, I wonder where the NEXT vehicle will come from?")

AFAICT, most pedestrian accidents aren't the fault of an "impaired" pedestrian -- unless you consider lack of common sense to be an impairment!

Reply to
Don Y

No it would not. The headlights stay on. Only the DRL goes out with the parking brake on. DR:s are not headlights. In MOST cases they use the headlight bulb but run at roughly half output. Some (like Chrysler Minivans) use the side marker (AKA parking) lamps

Reply to
clare

People drive like nuts in bad weather, and I usually turn on my lights. We get some whopper storms, so, I kind of like to see where I'm going, too. In mid-day those storms can turn everything dark as night, sometimes.

Reply to
Muggles

The edge does NOT go away. Wheather a bike or a car, SOMETHING is occupying the road ahead coming your direction. Hitting a car head on isn't going to do any less damage to you than hitting a bike - - -

Reply to
clare

From the ontario highway safety act:

When driving your vehicle, headlights are required to be turned on between one-half hour before sunset and one-half hour after sunrise, and any other time of poor light conditions, such as fog, snow or rain, which keeps you from clearly seeing people or vehicles less than

150 metres away. 150 meters, by the way, is well over 150 feet. ( like about 165)
Reply to
clare

Actually it is MORE likely to be the case - as bulb failure detection becomes also just an extra line of code.

Thermoelectrics stop flashing or slow down. Electronics speed up when a bulb goes out. And a very large number of new vehicles still depend on a "flasher unit"

Reply to
clare

Yeah, earning less is a reason not to put headlights on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That clicking sound when flasher is on.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'll have to pay attention but I don't believe my car makes any sound. There is one turn I make frequently that is less than 90 degrees. Sometimes the signal cancels, sometimes it doesn't but I'm thinking I just see the icon flashing but don't hear a click.

Reply to
rbowman

While that's true in general I don't think it applies to DRL's. Seat belts require you to buckle them and the car makes obnoxious noises if you exceed 10 mph with them unbuckled. DRL's just happen, so to speak.

Tell me I have to wear a motorcycle helmet when I choose not to and I will be pissed. When I start the bike and the headlight comes on I don't even think about it other than to check it is on and the high beam works.

I've had two cars with DRL's and the only thing I found annoying was the tail lights not coming on with them. That didn't make sense to me.

Reply to
rbowman