OT Idiot lights-out drivers

I've heard that in French, but not in any normal country.
--
The probability that a given thread has degenerated into a pissing contest is directly proportional to its number of replies.

So only Scotland is a normal country? At any rate, the surname Clare is NOT particularly French, although it's origins may trace back to the Normans as indicated below (from wikipedia)
Clare is a surname of English origin. The name is also prevalent among families of Irish origin, and there is a Clare County, Clare Island and River Clare in Ireland which attests to a long historical relationship with those places. The name was likely derived from the titular de Clare first held by Richard fitz Gilbert, a Welsh lord from a Norman family. Or from surnamedb.com:
Last name: Clare
This most interesting and ancient surname, with its long association with the British nobility, has three possible origins. It may be Olde English and derive from the pre 8th century word 'cleare' which translates as 'bright or clear' and as such was applied to various rivers and a Manor in the county of Suffolk. A second possibility is French, from a place called Clere in Normandy and first recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book of England, whilst the third is baptismal from the French 'Claire' or the Latin 'Clara' which themselves translate as 'bright of fair'. The original spelling forms were Clere, Clarae, Clara, Clare, and Clair(e), however there is some confusion in that in the early days the surnames were almost always proceeded by the French preposition 'de', although by the 16th century its use had almost died out. Irish nameholders also trace their heritage from the same sources, Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke, and better known as 'Strongbow' was the great leader of the Anglo-Norman Invasion of Ireland in 1170. The primary source of the surname is probably the Clare family of Clare in Suffolk, who received the Dukedom of Clarence in 1362. Early examples of the surname include Bogo de Clare of Oxford in the 1273 Kings Rolls, Goditha Clare of Kent in 1317, and Thomas Clair of St Giles Cripplegate, London on January 19th 1664. The 'first' Clare/Clair(e) into the New American Colonies of King James 1 was probably Mr Clare, Master of the Ship 'Gods Gift' of London. Unfortunately he was dead when he 'arrived' at Elizabeth City on or about February 16th 1623. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Richard de Clare, which was dated 1086, The Domesday Book for County Suffolk, England, during the reign of King William 1, 1066 - 1087. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.
On 2/14/2016 9:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I like the name Clare. You said it was short for "Clarence", so that makes sense.
--
Maggie

Joseph is male, but Josie isn't.
--
Murphy says to Paddy, "What ya talkin into an envelope for?" "I'm sending a voicemail ya thick sod!"

On 2/12/2016 11:30 AM, philo wrote:

None of my van lights come on automatically.
--
Maggie

On 2/12/2016 12:30 PM, philo wrote:

Depends on the car. I can turn them off but on many you cannot. Police cars usually have that option too.

Pull the parking brake on - - - - - - -

Disconnect the stupid things. If the car moans about it, connect a dummy load under the hood where it can't distract other road users.
--
A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says, "A beer please, and one for the road."

Id10t

Says the person using mobile phone speak.
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.

OK I'll spell it out for you.
I D I O T.

Now try explaining your opinion instead of just dismissing mine as though everybody knows yours is correct.
--
How do you titillate an ocelot?
Oscillate its titalot.

I have explained my opinions very clearly, and have had decades of experience in the automotive technical field, as well as years of experience in competive motorsport and millions of miles of driving on the roads of North America (All provinces of Canada and half the states of the USA) as well as both Europe and Africa (south central and west)

That explains why you believe your opinion has more value, but you still haven't explained the opinion.
--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 12:25:21 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

It doesn't have to be "much of a problem" to still be a problem when it occurs.

I wonder if "vast majority" is true. I've got high-trim level 2006 Honda Odyssey. Lot's of "fancy electronics" and features for the time. No day time running lights or automatic headlights though. (I always drive with my lights on , so I usually just leave them on since they go out by themselves 30 seconds after I park.)
Since the average age of cars on the road these days is about 11.4 years (roughly where my Ody lands) is it safe to say that the "vast majority" of cars on the road now have daytime running lights? I don't know...just curious.
"Average age of automobiles: The R.L. Polk Co., Average Age of Vehicles on the Road Remains Steady at 11.4 years, According to IHS Automotive, available at http://press.ihs.com/news_releases/automotive as of May 26, 2015."

Agreed.
On 2/12/2016 11:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't really see many cars running with their lights on during the day except newer cars where you don't have a choice.

--
Maggie

On 02/12/2016 11:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip] v

I'm above average. My vehicle is 17.1 years old. :-)
BTW, it does have DRL.
--
"I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door. You're
the one who has to walk through." -- Morpheus - ("The Matrix")
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 6:04:43 PM UTC-5, Sam E wrote:

I'm just on this side of the average - 4 vehicles averaging 10.75 years old, but one of them is on the far side.
SWMBO picked up this beauty last July.
2003 AWD Honda Element EX 69K miles (no, I didn't drop the 1) Single owner (retired engineer) Florida car $6800
Sweet! (No DRL)
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20150911_181237_zpsqkz60szv.jpg
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:04:38 -0600, Sam E

Mine is 20, wife's ia 14.
On 02/12/2016 10:44 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not a lot in this state. My 2007 Toyota had DRLs, but the 2011 of the same model doesn't. I imagine in 2007 they were covering their butt to see how GM's petition to make them mandatory came out. When the NHTSA denied the petition in 2009 they figured it was safe to drop them.