OT: Camera batteries

Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in my mini mag, and digital camera. Problem is.... that if I don't put fresh ones in my camera every morning, that the camera either doesn't work, or fails after very few pictures.

Do Energizer (or some other brand) work better?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ask in a camera group?

Lou

Reply to
LouB

It sounds as though there is a problem with the camera and it is draining the batteries even when it is off. I had a light meter that did the same thing. Contact the factory about a repair.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Many digital cameras have a power draw that is higher than many disposable batteries can supply. Usually it is best, if possible, to use rechargable batteries that have a high current rating and are designed for the camera.

Reply to
EXT

How old are batteries, is camera new, how many shots do you get and with flash?. After 4 years my nimh would drain after a few months sitting. If you use it alot every day with flash it might be normal. Eneloop hold a charge for months sitting but have less capacity. After

100 or so charges performance is maybe 25% of new.
Reply to
ransley

Is it a Polaroid camera? My daughters have Polaroids and they have to keep the batteries in the charger until just before they use them. I have an old Polaroid that eats batteries. They had Kodak cameras and the batteries lasted a lot longer but the cameras didn't.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have the same problem with my Nikon digital. Even the Nikon branded batteries just don't work. Workaround: use lithium batteries. Not ecologically correct but functional. I think it is a problem with the camera, even when I tell it that I'm using NiMH batteries it still is expecting a higher voltage than the batteries put out. I'm not aware of a solution. I've posted to the digital photography group and tried to contact Nikon tech support through their web site and have not received a useful answer.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Energizer E2 Lithium. Not rechargeable but good for about 400 shots on my cheap Kodak digital - and about 14 year shelf life.

Reply to
clare

Even with the batterie in the bag, not in the camera, you'll have trouble. Voltage is too low and self discharge is too high - not a problem with the camera - just a mismatch to the batteries. I only use rechargeables if I'm shooting a lot of pictures in a short time and I have the charger close by with a spare set.

Reply to
clare

It depends on what camera. Some recommend NIMH others are problematic with them. Some cameras are known to have contact problems. Some cameras have settings and/or specs. for alkaline or NIMH.

What camera?

Reply to
tnom

As others, I suspect the camera is bleeding them. My Kodak behaves like this. I just put batteries in before I use it and take them out afterwards. Camera's about 5 years old and not worth trying to fix and wife has a new, better one anyway.

Reply to
Frank

Oh, bother, that's not good news. Since the battery hatch opens easily, it sure would be easy enough for me to check for current draw.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd been toying with the idea of buying some cheapie Ray O Vac batteries at Walmart. With any luck, get a lot fewer photos that way.

The gooder batteries are more pricey, but likely worth the money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My neglect, sorry. Panasonic Lumix LD-70.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I used to carry a spare set in my coat pocket. Alkalines for backup batteries. I'll have to do that, I guess.

So far, I just swap em out with the two cells in my minimag, and that has gotten me going again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did that. They were very helpful.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the workaround is to carry a couple set of alkaline AA cells in my coat pocket, and pop in alkalines if I get a couple dead rechargable. Or, to be more obsessive about recharging the batteries every night.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Those might be good for backup batteries, if the rechargables run out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Panasonic Lumix LS-70. Says it's got a setting for rechargable cells. I just went back and looked. One setting (using) is alkalines or NiMH. Other setting is "oxyride" whatever that might be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had that with a few cameras in the past and hated it (two were Fuji and I forget the other one). I swore off using digital cameras. Then I saw my niece and nephew shooting pictures all day long, day in and day out, with various Kodak Easy Share cameras that come with a single rectangular battery. I bought an HD camera by Kodak and never have a problem. The camers (I have two now) are in my brief case. I can use them for pictures, videos whenever I want -- no problem. I plug the cord into my computer every once in a while when I upload the pictures/videos and can let it charge from there -- in like 30 minutes or less. But I rarely do the charging and the camera is always good to go whenever I use it.

It's the camera, not the batteries.

Storm> Been using Duracell NiMH, 2650 miliamp rating. Use them in

Reply to
Len56