batteries leaked.

I have a tv remote that was working up until 3 or 4 days ago, and its batteries have leaked. I didn't think that was possible.

Reply to
micky

Rayovac? Lol

Reply to
Thomas

Rayovac? lol

Reply to
Thomas

Only if you ignore the batteries until they leak.

Reply to
Bob F

That seems to be a diminished problem. I used to see leaking, dead batteries occasionally years ago. But I'd say in the last 20 years, from what I've seen, it's much less. And that even includes cheap Chinese batteries that come with some new products.

Reply to
trader_4

I have had many Duracell AAA batteries leak over the past few years. All were well within their "expiration" dates. Duracell says they are guaranteed, so I contacted them. Their response was a coupon for Duracell batteries. Now why would I want more of them? I left the coupon on the Duracell display at the supermarket.

The latest was my blood pressure cuff, which I use very infrequently so I forgot to pull the batteries. They did send me a check for the purchase of a new machine.

So far, Eveready batts have been working fine.

By the way, the best AAA's I have ever had were Rayovac rechargeables. Unfortunately, they are no longer made. But I still have a few, over

20 years old, that charge up and work just fine.

-dan z-

Reply to
dyno dan

How dare you! Disposable batteries cause climate change. C'mon man! A true liberal democrat would use rechargeables, preferably made from materials mined with child labor.

Reply to
Greta Thongturd

Remove dead batteries and carefully scrub the battery compartment and wiring with a 50:50 mixture of white vinegar and water. Don't let this get to the button pads! Best if you can take the control apart - usually they snap together so pry apart with a very thin blade. Or they are held together with Philips screw(s).

Good luck! You may well need a new remote though.

Change batteries once a year on your birthday - you'd possibly be surprised how many disposible battery devices you have roaming around your home.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

I have never had anything damaged by NiCd or NiMh battery leakage.

Has anyone else?

Reply to
Bob F

I've had quite a few Duracells that leaked, including this year and last year, so I switched to Ray-o-vac for those devices, no problems so far, and more recently I switched to the 'best' (out of good, better, best) from Harbor Freight. No problems with those, either. I'm done buying Duracell.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Ni-Cad batteries have killed many a pinball and jukebox PCB...

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

I've had Kirkland, Duracell and Maxell batteries leak IN THEIR ORIGINAL CONTAINERS as well as in rarely-used equipment years under their printed expiration dates. I returned the Duracells and Kirklands and bought Energizers -- which claim to replace any equipment damaged by Energizer leakage. So far I haven't seen a single one leak.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Only when accidentally over charged at a fairly high current for much too long a time.

Reply to
Brian Gregory

I believe the Energizer guarantee only applies to Energizer Max, not other types, and probably not even Energizer MaxPlus.

Brian Gregory

Ah ha:

Brian Gregory

The Energizer Max batteries are the common ones available at Walmart and Sam's, equivalent to the Duracells you get at Costco. Good enough. 10 years. Corsair power supplies give a 10-year warranty. -- which we just took advantage of after under 2 years. I wonder what else. Samsung $1K stove had a 1-year warranty. Needed at 8-10 months. I don't care what anyone says about Samsung's quality, if it only lasts a year it's worthless.

Energizer MAX Energizer® EcoAdvanced® AA/AAA Alkaline Energizer® hearing aid batteries Energizer Recharge® Power Plus and Energizer Recharge® Universal AA/AAA batteries for up to one year after full discharge Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™ Batteries (call for details)

It's nice when a company is proud of what it makes.

I bought a charger and set of Duracells for my Nikon digital camera in

1999 or so. They stopped holding a charge, so Duracell sent me a gift cert for a new set. Wash, rinse, repeat. I ended up with a set of precharged Duracells (Eneloop-type) which were no better than the others. None of the rechargeables worked well in my Canon 720IS. I really want to use rechargeables, but they don't work worth shit, especially in things not used regularly.
Reply to
The Real Bev

I think it is often a matter of devices not designed properly for NiCd and NiMh batteries lower voltage. Designed for alkaline 1.5V batteries, they think the battery is dead with lower voltage rechargeables that provide most of their power just above 1.2V.

Reply to
Bob F