Equivalent of 4 D-cell Batteries?

All:

I want to use an AC/DC voltage source to replace a device that only takes

4 D-cell batteries. What would the equivalent DC power and current ratings be for an AC/DC supply?

Thanks in advance!

John

Reply to
John

You'll need a 6 VDC supply, and the current rating cannot be determined from what you provided. That depends on the device you are running. A "standard" hobbyist DC power supply should be fine, but verify first.

Reply to
Dan C

Errr.. maybe. Standard batteries are 1.5 volts each, connecting them in series is additive, but there's no guarantee the device connects them in series. I'll grant that, if said device has any digital components, 6V is the most likely design voltage.

Reply to
Goedjn

A 5VDC supply should work, and they are more commonly available. A battery-powered device needs to be designed to work with aging batteries, and common alkaline or carbon-zinc/zinc chloride batteries drop in voltage quite a bit as they discharge.

I would look for a 5V 1A DC "wall wart".

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

A 6 volt wall unit from Radio Shack.

For the average radio or cassette player, I'l look for something with a 500milliamp capacity.

Reply to
Anonymous

That depends on whether the batteries are in series of parallel; you cannot determine it with the given information. No one can.

Reply to
Pop

If the batteries are in series, as in a flashlight of positive to negative, it would be 4 x 1.5 or 6 volts. The device should have the power rating on it. Most adapters can handle small devices. There are multi-voltage adapters available.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I dont think I've ever seen any consumer appliance that runs on 4x D cells in parallel.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

And if it does, he's gonna need a real hefty amperage power supply. My kid had a toy that ate 4 D batteries before lunch. The voltage requirement was for 6 volts. A 1 amp transformer didn't have enough oomph, but a 2 amp one did. About the only thing I can figure out about batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) is that the bigger they are, the more current they can supply, given that they are all about 1.5 volt nominal.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

1.5, 3.0, or 6.0 volts, nominal, depending on how the batteries are aligned with each other.

Take the device to your supplier (Radio Shack?) and trust the male behind the counter to deduce what you need.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oddly enough, I own a flash light that takes 8 D batteries. Parallel sets of four.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Different types of batteries can supply different amperage.

High: Alkaline, Nicad, Nickel metal hydride.

Medium: zinc chloride.

Low: Carbon managanese dioxide.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have one in easy reach: It's a flashlight. Have another in the garage. Have an r/c car that uses that config. Lots of them around.

Reply to
Pop

Odd. I've never seen a 4D flash light with the batteries in parallel. Just the one I got years ago which has 8 D cells. But, with two sets of four, it take the same PR-12 bulb that my other 4D light takes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have to really question that. It would mean that your flashlights and R/C car run on 1-1/2 volts. Not very likely.

Reply to
Dick
7.5 V 1 AMP DC works as well.
Reply to
B Wood
7.5 V 1 AMP DC works for motorized devices such as a small air pump.
Reply to
B Wood