Nickel-Zinc rechargeable batteries report.

Hello all,

I have a compact digital camera - Fujifilm Finepix E550 which runs on two A A sized batteries.

I gave up using single-use cells with it due to the cost, and have been usi ng NiMH cells. Whilst these are useful in many applications,I find that the y are pretty poor for the camera as they only return around 20 pictures bef ore the camera decides they are flat. I assume this is due to the lower vol tage per cell.

I bought a set of four NiZn AA batteries and the matching charger (currentl y on offer for 6.99 each) from the holiday camp in Hi-de-hi as the NiZn che mistry has a higher voltage than the NiMH cells. Although the overall capac ity of the NiZn cells is apparently lower, I have been able to fire off 130 pictures so far, 100 with flash, and the unflashed 30 having a full lens-z oom between them (i.e. from widest lens - take picture - zoom out fully - t ake picture - zoom back - picture, etc.).

This was indoors at about 18 degrees Celcius. I have no idea how dramatical ly colder temperatures will affect the performance, but so far I am quite h appy with them.

Hopefully this will be of use to someone else who is maybe considering rech argeables for high-drain devices.

Cheers.

Reply to
pastedavid

sized batteries.

NiMH cells. Whilst these are useful in many applications,I find that they are pretty poor for the camera as they only return around 20 pictures before the camera decides they are flat. I assume this is due to the lower voltage per cell.

Strange that, considering that Fuji in the USA supply the camera with a pair of NiMH batteries and a charger for them, according to page 10 of the manual.

There is often a menu setting to tell it that it has MiMH batteries installed, which alters the cut off voltage and battery life meter.

Reply to
John Williamson
[snip badly formatted lines]

The only digital camera I had that used AA batteries worked much better with NiMh batteries than with alkalines. It rejects the alkalines about about 10 pictures, even though they were still almost full.

Reply to
Mark

Yeah, mine did too. Nice little charger, but the batteries didn't last as long as I'd want them to. I remember it was quite common for them to not last much more than 30 or 40 shots.

Sadly not on this camera. It is frustrating. I had a portable Sony Minidisc player which lasted for a long long time on a single NiCd battery. Probably a much lower drain though, thinking about it.

Reply to
pastedavid

sized batteries.

NiMH cells. Whilst these are useful in many applications,I find that they are pretty poor for the camera as they only return around 20 pictures before the camera decides they are flat. I assume this is due to the lower voltage per cell.

on offer for 6.99 each) from the holiday camp in Hi-de-hi as the NiZn chemistry has a higher voltage than the NiMH cells. Although the overall capacity of the NiZn cells is apparently lower, I have been able to fire off 130 pictures so far, 100 with flash, and the unflashed 30 having a full lens-zoom between them (i.e. from widest lens - take picture - zoom out fully - take picture - zoom back - picture, etc.).

colder temperatures will affect the performance, but so far I am quite happy with them.

rechargeables for high-drain devices.

Bloomin' annoying that the NiZn chargers I have now looked at all seem to be dedicated. Surely they could very simply also charge NiCD and NiMH (and even other technologies)?

Reply to
polygonum

In my experience modern cameras which will operate on standard AA sized batteries operate best on lithium batteries. Whilst on the face of it more expensive than alkaline they last much, much longer.

Reply to
news

How frequently do you take pictures? If your 30 shots are taken over a long period, the self discharge of ordinary NiMh batteries will clobber you. I used a Fujifilm (something-or-other)440 to take occasional shots and thought the rechargable battery life was terrible, but then switched to Eneloop and they lasted ages between recharges.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

Normally over a day or two. I don't tend to use a camera which has been sat for a while without charging first (because of the discharge thing).

Reply to
pastedavid

I think my first digital camera was an e550. I replaced it when the sensor failed (all the pictures were very white an bleached out). I sent it to Fuji who said the sensor had failed and they could repair it for £80 but as a new Fuji cost about £100, I decided to spend a little extra and get a newer model. When I got a newer one, I was disappointed that it had a funny lithium battery rather than use AA.

AA is great when you are somewhere and your battery goes flat and you can buy a replacement from anywhere, or so I thought. I seem to remember that happened to me and I bought Duracell AAs (thinking at the time that a well known brand would be better than a no-name but I have since learned differently on this group) and I seem to recall the camera did not like them at all.

I can't remember how many shots the camera took on NiMH but I did carry spare batteries, whereas these funny square lithium batteries do last a lot longer IME.

I don't know what I would do: whether I would carry around a supply of NiMH (as I did) or whether I would look at using lithium AA cells, which would last longer but would have to be replaced.

Reply to
Fred