Most likely a shorted cell. No "reset" is practical. Only cure would
be to open the unit and replace the cell.
If the unit is open might be possible to burn away the short but that is
a short time cure. I have done it many times with individual cells but
they never lasted very long.
To avoid the problem try to avoid total discharge and don't overcharge.
sometimes you can charge a cpacitor then discharge it across the battery.do
this 4 or 5 times ...sometimes it will let them take a charge.
Very interesting hitting the batteries with a capacitor. The two sites
give very different information about the voltage used though. Have you
ever done this procedure, and if so, exactly what kind, size, etc,
capacitor did you use, and what voltage did you charge the cap with?
Thanks again for the info. I have a BUNCH of cordless drill batteries to
experiment on, and also take apart and rob good cells from-- a pawn shop
was moving and getting rid of years of accumulated junk. I bought about
25 or more batteries of all different brands and voltages for either 10
or 15 cents each (I forget which), so I have plenty to experiment with
and if I screw one or two up--no big loss. Thanks Larry
BE CAREFUL! Running even short term high current thru a bad battery can
make it explode! I had a friend who used to do this, fortunately he
didnt get hurt the cell ruptured away from him.
you must realize stuff has a life expectancy. kinda like a tank of gas
it will only go so far.....
your better off replacing the cells or battery. there are companies
that rebuild batterys by replacing all the cells, sometimes with higher
I largely avoid battery operated tools for this reason, somehow the
battery always seems to die just when I need it the most:(
About the only effective way to is do it across a single cell. Burns
away the shorting fingers. First you have to determine which cells are
shorted. The others in the pack have probably been damaged by
overcharging. Once they start to short out it doesn't take long before
they short again.
I have even done it by "flicking" a wire from a 12 volt supply across a
cell. Gets a big spark and could blow the battery!! Best to devise a
way to shield yourself from that possibility.
With all those spare cells you could probably salvage out good cells and
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.