OT: Camera batteries

My camera came with two NiMH rechargeable batteries and that is the recommended type per the manual. Recognizing that they are rated for 1.2V, one has to assume that the manufacturer (Sony, in this case) expects it to work and provide the specified number of pictures per charge. What I have learned is that is there is a big loss in performance if the camera sits unused for quite a while. When that is the case I always recharge the installed and spare batteries before using. MLD

Reply to
MLD

For the batteries to discharge overnight, the camera must be constantly = drawing from them or the batteries have reached the end of their useable = life.

For replacements, try the Rayovac hybrid batteries ...they can hold a = charge much longer than regular NiMH batteries.

J.

Reply to
Jean

Is that like being licked clean by a cat?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My camera will run down the batteries when I am not using it. So I undo the battery cover when not in use and this disconnects the batteries. Then my batteries last a long time. The pictures remain in memory without the batteries on my camera.

Reply to
Bill

See my reply to Bob F. - you may be right but it's still a defect on Nikon's part if that is the case, because the camera supposedly can be adjusted to accept different types of batteries. I even bought two pair of Nikon branded batteries "just in case" and had the same issue.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Excellent idea.

You've got to wonder what type of circuitry is draining the batteries when the camera's off.

I guess the on-off switch is, itself, electronic.

Reply to
HeyBub

IF? When! I don't even bother with rechargeables. Always end up missing a good shot because the batteries are "dead"

Reply to
clare

I have both Kodak and Lumix - both have the same problem, batteries in or out with NiCad or NimH - no problem with lithium.

Reply to
clare

Be careful when using non rechargeable lithium AA batteries. Not all camera manufacturers recommend them.

Reply to
tnom

They may not reccomend them, but the voltage is right and they provide adequate power. What's the down side?

Reply to
clare

They recommend not using them. "'Unusable" is the term used. Reasons...

They can leak.

They may also cause battery power indicator inaccuracy. Cause the camera to not turn on. Cause data written to the memory card to be damaged.

Reply to
tnom

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

lithium cells don't have the high self-discharge rate of NiCd and MiMH cells.The rechargeable lithium cells used in portable power tools retain a useable charge for up to 6 months. trouble is,the cell voltage is ~3.7v per cell,so not a direct replacement for NiCd or MiMH..

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It needs some power to remember the date & time...

Reply to
Bob M.

...and the digital camera repair place I sent mine to (recommended by Kodak) specifically said 'use lithium batteries'. The only time I've had problems is with alkaline or rechargeable (NiMH) - the lithium's work forever.

Reply to
Bob M.

The repair place? I don't know about your specific Kodak but if the manual said to not use lithium would you still go by the "repair place's" recommendation?

Reply to
tnom

Lithium ion and the common lithium AA are two different chemistries. The common lithium iron disulfide AA is 1.5 volts.

Reply to
tnom

Right. they are higher voltage, about 1.7 volts.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Put some batteries, lastnight, in my Sanyo charger that is designed for Nimmies. Today, I took a dozen or so pictures (all flash) around the house. The camera worked fine. I conclude that the other charger wasn't completely charging the batteries.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, that's an excellent question.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ASSUMINTG the voltage is correct, why would any of the above be true? And I've never heard of one leaking (unlike both carbon/zink and alkaline) The battery level indicators are generally a joke anyway, so that's no reason (at least for me) not to use them. My Lumix says not to use Litium batteries, and it works GREAT with them. The recommended NiMH battries have a very short life and Oxyride batteries are not generally universally available (and are also not rechargeable) Oxyride batteries are BASICALLY just a high density alkaline.(with a slightly higher terminal voltage)

Reply to
clare