Battery Warranties

Saturday July 27, 2013

Went to the shelf, and found some leaky batteries. The folks on alt surv will find this to be no surprise.

Fire up the computer, and try to contact the three companies. Energizer and Rayovac let me fill out the form, and will contact me some time via email.

Duracell insisted to know the month and year of my birth which is none of thier damn business. I put "something" in. They now say I'm not eligible to contact them. After a long search, I found they are part of Proctor and Gamble, and got a mailing adress. I'll see if I can find a customer service number, and phone them on Monday. At present, I'm not all that impressed with Duracell customer no-service.

I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook Express, back.

. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The question is why do you have so much battery problems. The only ones I've ever had go bad were way beyond any reasonable shelf life.

Are these the one-use batteries you insist on trying to recharge?

Reply to
Winston_Smith

buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird. If you can get Outlook XP (2003) it is the closest to oputlook express, the most reliable, and not as complex as 2007 +.

For your use XP 2002 would do just fine - 2003 is better when used in a corporate environment (and I prefer it al - round)

You can usually buy a legit pack of outlook, or even office (with outlook) pretty reasonably on Flea-Bay.. Currently office XP Pro on for $17 to $60.

Reply to
clare

Or batteries stored in a hot humid environment????

I have not had 2 leakers in the lat 20 years.

Reply to
clare

Stormin' uses OE for usenet newsgroups. My Outlook 2003 only does e-mail, not usenet.

It came free on a CD with a couple items I've bought over the years, particularly Dell Pocket PCs. There must be ton of those disks floating around the used market/thrift stores/net auction sites.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Will they run with Win7? We upgraded to Win7 at work and had to upgrade a couple of programs with it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You want a 10 year old OS to match your 10 year old batteries? Have you considered Windows 7 if the box can support it? I use Windows 2000, XP and 7 on a daily basis. They all work, although 2000 not only isn't supported by M$, but many current applications won't even install. XP has been granted a reprieve several times but it is headed to the same dead end.

I would not recommend 8 until they figure out what they are doing but it is also usable after you figure out the tricks to undo the shambles M$ made out of the UI.

Time moves on. If you can't run with the big dogs...

Reply to
rbowman

Hmmm. Then shoot the big dog and run with Linux. Good OS to test your IQ? I am a fan of Ubuntu. Mint.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.

. Christ> Storm>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have to ask a couple friends about that. Interesting idea. Thank you.

. Christ> buy a copy of MS outlook. It will be a lot better than Blunderbird.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:43:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in Re Re: Battery Warranties:

Or try an even better email/usenet client

and visit

alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

Reply to
CRNG

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

RAM is only "reasonable" with present technology (DDR3). Try pricing DDR or DDR2 anywhere! As far as old stuff running W7...I have a 9 yr old Dell 8400 P-4,3GHz with 1.5Gb of DDR2 and it runs very nicely.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

I used to get security updates every week for XP. As of about 3 months ago, I rarely get them. Is that because they are dropping support?

Reply to
micky

Yes, Everything else gets cheap when most people don't use it anymore, but I've found RAM to be an exception. How did the makers and sellers do that?

Reply to
micky

I've had no issue at all with Duracell warranty replacement of an item damaged by leaking batteries. I called them, they sent some paperwork and a prepaid mailer pack, I sent the device in with leaking batteries in place, and a couple weeks later they sent me a check for the cost of replacing the device, along with a coupon for new batteries. No complaints.

Reply to
Pete C.

Your kidding right? I use outlook at work, not half the program that TBIRD is. Outlook is very limited.

As far as batteries going bad, the only ones I have had go bad (leak) are Eveready, my Duracell don't leak...

Reply to
woodchucker

AFAIC it has to do with price fixing...either you pay or consider buying a newer PC. It tells you to get 4X what you think you need at the time! The cheapest/reliable place I have found for tested/used RAM

Bob_Villa

So go back to it, doesn't matter if MS "supports" it or not.

Consider...

MS has been spewing out DOS/OS programs since the early 80s when they got lucky and got an IBM contract. I never used their DOS systems but have used Win 3.1, 95A, 95B, 98, XP and 8. They all needed "security updates". IOW, over the last 20 or so years, MS couldn't come up with a secure, error free OS out of the box. What makes you think their updates are any better?

My XP is SP3 and the only reason it is is because certain programs I use needed it. Other than that, I have never installed any MS updates. And when the free Win 8.1 becomes available I won't be getting it either; my Win

8 looks and functions like XP. Main difference between the two (on my box) is that Win8 sucks up 16 GB - SIXTEEN GIGABYTES! - of disk space compared to 1 GB for XP. IIRC, Win7 uses about 7-8 GB.

Can you say, "Bloat?".

Reply to
dadiOH

...and when they had to write compact code because memory was limited...they did it! There were/are some nifty DOS games that worked on 8Mb of RAM and a 30Mb HDD! Note Megabyte!

Reply to
Bob_Villa