New Orleans Housing Failing

This story discusses housing built to replace ones destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. A non profit project launched by Brad Pitt was responsible for building the houses.

Part of the article. "The project seemed cutting-edge, if not utopian. Architects like Frank Gehry, David Adjaye and Shigeru Ban helped design the houses, which incorporated next-gen features like solar panel roofs, energy-efficient heating and cooling, and sustainable materials. And each house would be sold well below cost: $150,000."

The article also mentions flat roofs and lack of rain gutters.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Sounds like a combination or design flaws and people that don't know how to care for them. So donate $5million to do good and get sued.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I also see problem of building houses where houses should not be built. It is the same crowd that warns us about global warming and rising seas that approves this.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I'm just a tad confused.

One paragraph starts with: "Then Make It Right vanished" and notes that (per Keller) ?Everyone from Make It Right has more or less disappeared".

A few paragraphs later it says "Make It Right has filed cross-claims of its own..."

The article reads as if Make It Right "vanished" soon after the divorce in 2016 but other than stating that Make It Right was sued as late as 2021, it's not clear when they filed their cross-claims.

So, does the organization still exist or are the current lawsuits against them nothing more than a waste of time and paper?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

None of that matters. Brad Pitt has money so they will go after him. Of course, all he did was donate, not design or build but he has money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I found a couple more articles. It sounds like Make it Right has disappeared.

It sure seems odd that what was supposed to be a showcase project was so badly put together.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It matters to me.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Mixing politics and home repair. A Usenet triumph.

Reply to
micky

Of course, you would not do that.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

"Pitt?s non-profit initially made some minor repairs, but then began pushing residents to sign non-disclosure agreements before it would tell them what was wrong with their homes. ?That?s when a lot of residents started to notice that things were very fishy.?"

I wonder what the terms were that they contacted the Make it Right at all. Home warranty. Everything, even houses I suppose, come with a warranty of merchantability and fitness for the purpose intended. When they give you a written warrnanty, it's more of a bad thing than a good thing because it's really a limitation on the common law warranty. For a tv a court might say that is 3 years but the written warranty limits you to say 1 year. Houses too?

Diligent homeowners might have stopped much of this, but it says all but

6 had iirc mold in less than 10 years. When you get a new house the roof should not leak in only 10 years.

By 2014, it became clear that the buildings were actively falling apart, with reports that the glass-infused wood was ?rotting from the inside out?. But without correcting the issue, Pitt continued to call the project a success ? telling local media in August 2016: ?I?ll tell you, every time I drive over the Claiborne bridge, no matter what frustration I might be dealing with at the moment, I get this well of pride when I see this little oasis of color and the solar panels.? That was the last time he would publicly mention Make It Right. The next month, he and Angelina Jolie divorced, and soon the pair had sold their New Orleans mansion.

The lawyer added that many of the residents are still fans of Brad Pitt. ?It?s unbelievable. To this day, their homes are falling down around them, and they love the man. But they just can?t believe the betrayal.?

I still prefer green light laser treatment of hte prostate because my first doctor said they are better, even though it only lasted 4 years instead of my whole lifetime. Views one forms early on tend to stay with one. Like affection for trump, like ivermectin or disliking the covid vaccines while liking that long-named treatement, interclonal-something, liked posters to Usenet who never admit they have been wrong even if when it's shown conclusively partly because of their ego but also because they believe in what they first learned.

If Brad Pitt contributed 5 million dollars, did he?, I don't see how, even if he screwed up later.... well maybe his contribution is water under the bridge and doesn't count to mitigate other damages. I think it should.

Reply to
micky

I was thinking more like Ed. No good deed goes unpunished. Pitt and the others tried to do good. Pitt gets sued for his efforts. Also the lack of quality control impressed me. This was supposedly a show project.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

What betrayal? Pitt tried to give them cheap homes. Looks like he my have been hoodwinked too.

The blame should go to the designers and builders if the wrong materials, methods and were selected and put together with shoddy practice.

He my be naive and poorly advised but go after the real culprits. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The lawyers always tell people to sue everyone in sight. Because the ones you do sue will come up with a story, no matter how ridiculous, that the one who was not sued is really the one at fault. I guess if anyone they could blame is already there, that saves time.

Don't get me wrong. My complaint about the urology practice I think I've talked about is that they're ruled by the lawyers afaict. If there this bad for some reason other than lawyers advice, that's even worse.

Reply to
micky