This seems to be the set of tools needed to do a perfect job:
0. STEELMAN JSG381 1/8-Inch Tire Repair Patch/Plug Combo, Box of 25 ($16)
1. STEELMAN 00028-S Tire Inner Liner Scraper ($8)
2. STEELMAN SLP9305A Tungsten Carbide Buffing Wheel with Adapter ($10)
3. STEELMAN 00029 Tire Repair Stitcher ($11)
4. Shark BT30 Carbide Bur with 2-Inch Flute and 0.3125-Inch Diameter ($44)
The only somewhat expensive tool is the carbide cutter, so, if you
know of a good second source, that would be helpful.
The rest of the special tools are dirt cheap in contrast.