Can I get a crash course on air hose connectors?

I don't have a lot of experience with air tools. When I need to use one I plug it in and use it. Now that I am looking for a connector or two that I can't find I see this huge selection and mess.

What is the difference between I/M, U, T, Auto

Why are there different style connectors to begin with? Isn't one good enough? I take it they are not compatible. Does one deliver more air flow than another? How do you know which is best for what purpose?

Please enlighten me - especially if you have a URL with some details and explanations. Thank you.

Reply to
poison_1024

Nice question, and I'm interested in the information this will bring out.

The only thing I can say is that getting all the same letter makes it easier to get all the same kind. I think I have M types, but I still have to take one with me so I get the right thing because I can't remember if it is the M or the T or the ??? I have trouble with the slip connectors failing, and the ball bearings falling out.

Nothing easier than quick connects. I love em.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't know the differance, but I have 3 differant style connectors that from about 3 feet away they all look the same. On was used at a mobile home builder where my dad worked around 1970, another where I work in a large factory , and the third is on some air tools my wife bought me for Christmas. They will not interchange at all., but look almost the same and are the same size, just will not lock in the other connectors. It sure looks like they should all lock.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Unfortunately, the I/M, U, T, Auto designations appear to be names given to the various q/d types by either the hardware store or auto part store industry. They are Type Letters that correspond to the "real"

As near as I can determine there are a "gazllion" types

the most common (at least in my experience) are

industrial interchange....which appear to be a commercial version of Mil-Std ones automotive ARO & Lincoln

go the McMaster.com

page 260 they have PICTURES of a bunch of different ones; foreign & domestic

In aerospace (at least at my company) we used industrial interchange

the next place I worked used "automotive" but they didn't have very many so I trashed them & standardized on industrial interchange

there is also a hi-flow series that are often used on air tools in construction

Even though I standardized my personal stuff on industrial interchange, I keep a couple male & female couplers of the different types with some pipe couplings so I can rig up a "cross type" adpater if I'm working with someone who has different q/d's

I suggest to anyone who asks me, that they standardise on industrial interchange

its messy & confusing...... the Mil-Std electrical connectors or hydraulic connectors are worse :(

But what I find confusing is that the designations used in industry (& in McMaster) have been "simplified" by the M, T, U designations in the hardware store.

Amflo (used to be in Santa Ana,CA) is (was?) a big manufacturer of q/ d's they do not seem to have a website, they have a great paper catalog (can't find mine)

I think they moved to Arkansas

Here is a link to a comparison page....but "note", the M, T, U designations are not used!

cheers Bob

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

has a good selection if anyone needs pictures but I was more curious about how or why there is actually more than one style. I mean wasn't "one" good enough? It's not like a screw where you might need a wood screw or pan-head or whatever.

Reply to
poison_1024

| > What is the difference between I/M, U, T, Auto | >

| > Why are there different style connectors to begin with? Isn't one | > good enough? I take it they are not compatible. Does one deliver | > more air flow than another? How do you know which is best for what | > purpose? | >

| | I don't know the differance, but I have 3 differant style connectors that | from about 3 feet away they all look the same. On was used at a mobile home | builder where my dad worked around 1970, another where I work in a large | factory , and the third is on some air tools my wife bought me for | Christmas. They will not interchange at all., but look almost the same and | are the same size, just will not lock in the other connectors. | It sure looks like they should all lock.

They do have a "universal" female quick connector that accepts the three common types (industrial interchange, automotive, and the other one whose name I can never remember). I've been lucky enough to keep all my equipment industrial interchange, so I've not tried it. :)

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani