Need a powerful led flashlight

I bought a triple c flashlight at the home depot for $20 500 lumens, Defiant ? That was some time back. Very bright and heavy enough to whack somebody. Just bought a AA small led with 250 lumens $20. Neither has zooming, but not needed.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This might catch something on fire.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've got only AA LED flashlights, mostly Maglites. Makes it easier to keep the batteries charged, as I only have to deal with the AA'a Haven't used my D cell flashlights in years.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I got the 200 lumen 1 AA $5 zooming model, works good.

Reply to
wstiefer

I think there are many dozens of "powerful LED flashlights". We'd just be guessing, until you supply a LOT more information.

Used for what? Stored how? Carried, or left in place? Caried in a backpack, on the belt, or in pocket or on keyring? Weight limit? Single use or rechargable cells? Budget?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since we've narrowed this down to "at home" and "occaasional use" I'd suggest the new black 10 LED square lantern from Walmart. Cost $5.48, including battery. Found in the camping section, usually near the floor. Looking at the lens, you can see the 10 separate LED, opposed to the filament bulb units. Runs about 70 hours on a battery (yes, I tested) and is seriously bright. Can spot racoons in a distant tree kind of bright.

These can be had on Amazon for about $11. But walmart is more convenient.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

According to this website, it's not enough to blind a person:

An acquaintance, who was recently a prison guard, sez they used tactical LED flashlights that were strong enough to blind a man in a lit room. The above website claims 250 lumens is enough to do that. I don't recall the brand/model he had, but he said it was about $100. BTW, it blinded me in a lit room. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Face it, it's purposely misleading.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thank you! I knew you would know a great one. LED's are a weakness of mine. I use to save up my lawn mowing money for weeks to afford to buy one from Radio Shack.

Reply to
Todd

For sticking my head under the crawlspace and looking for water. If it scares or damages Black Widow spiders, all the better, but not a requirement.

I need to see about 70 feet in the dark

On a shelf in the closet next to my crawl space

on a shelf

on a shelf

less that 30 lbs

replaceable alkalines

$20 to 30 ???

Reply to
Todd

$29.00 too.

1500 lumins? That seems a little hard to believe. Wonder if it will permanently blind the black widows?

4 "D" cells. Hmmmm.

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

Per Todd:

I have some Duracell lights that I got from CostCo for $15.00 for a pack of 3. I *think* they're 300 lumens (at least it says "300" on the case) and would say they are plenty bright enough to see 70 feet.

One other criterion I would suggest: light enough to hold in one's teeth. I wrap mine with a strip of foam or whatever's handy and then cover it with electrical tape. Makes for hands-free aiming in tight spaces.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I'd be tempted to buy it. I guess I'm a, I need another led flashlight nutcase.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Greg,

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I have a regular 3 D-battery Mag Lite -- not LED -- and I like it. But, after seeing the Defiant light as shown on the link you provided, and after reading so many 5-star reviews on the site, I think I just have to go out and buy one.

My Mag Lite has an adjustable lens that allows me to focus the light into a narrow beam when needed, and it appears that the Defiant LED doesn't do that. But, for 29 bucks, I'm going get one and try it anyway.

I also don't know anything about rechargeable batteries (maybe Lithium or Lithium Ion?) for these types of flashlights, but it is something that I would like to check out. In my case, I want to keep the flashlight in my car, and if there were such a thing as a battery charger that I could permanently mount in my car and always charged batteries on hand as a backup, that would be great.

Reply to
TomR

You remember the first LED wrist watches, with red LED, had to push the button to get it to light for a second with the time. I had one, and it was a lot of fun. One man I knew called a "two handed watch" as you used the other hand to push the button.

Now you can have ten LED, for under ten bucks.

Or, nine, for free with coupon any any purchase at Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My local store does not carry it. I think the d batteries would last a long time, and there us a low setting. I would not want rechargeable. Just check it ever so often for battery leakage. Keeping full time charging often results in battery failure, but for daily use, rechargeables might be good..

Greg

Reply to
gregz

On 01/10/2015 12:13 AM, gregz wrote: > This might catch something on fire. > >

> > Greg >

Follow up: I went with the one Greg recommended.

This is a BIG flashlight. And heavy too, as it is metal.

This flashlight puts out so much light that it is blinding. It lights up my back yard like it was daylight. It lights up about five houses worth when shined down the street.

Perfect!

That you all for all the help and tips!

-T

Reply to
Todd

The five dollar one from Walmart camping section would have been far better suited.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

the harbor freight lampswork great espically since they are super cheap to free......

Reply to
bob haller

The OP wanted an occasional use flashlight (torch) to see if there's water in the crawl space under the house. Yes, the free one would have done fine.

I sense a hidden agenda on the OP part. Wanted the "kewl" factor.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon