LED flashlight (no battery)

Stopped by Costco yesterday and saw a no-battery flashlight. Before Christmas I saw one at Fred Meyer and was going to buy it as a gift for camping trips but by the time I decided to buy it, they were out.

Anyway, it's a yellow thing labeled GEI INC. Has a squeeze handle and a switch, so I had to buy one. The instruction say you get about 3 minutes of light for each 30 seconds of squeezing. Damn it is bright. Probably not much good for wandering around the woods, but useful if the electricity goes out, and I can read by it which is more than I can say for the standard lights in my travel trailer. It must have a small capacity rechargeable battery in it. I squeezed it for about 30 seconds yesterday afternoon, checked how bright it was and turned it on for a few seconds several times during the evening. Still bright this morning and still bright tonight, so it is holding a charge. Cute, useful, and $8.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I guess if you haven't the skills to keep batteries in a flashlight and to keep a spare set somewhere then it might come in handy.

My guess would be that the person incapable of managing a battery operated flashlight would also be incapable of remembering where he stored that windup flashlight.

Reply to
TCS

Oh? Children + flashlights = dead batteries every time. (Unless you lock up the flashlights.)

I prefer the rechargable flashlights which hang from an outlet. They can be set to come on by themselves when the power quits, so they can serve as "emergency light", or not.

Only problem are those damn kids again....They never put 'em back into the outlets when they're done with 'em.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It's a novelty! But you didn't read it all. Have you ever read with a flashlight? bright spots, dim spots, it's a mess. This one held about 2 feet from a book fills the page with even illumination, so I will make a holder. And the switch is quiet in comparison to the damn 6 V that clicks loudly and which I use every time I get up to go take a whizz and that's pretty often.

Manage batteries? Yeah I manage batteries, 3 in vehicles, 2 in the trailer, rechargeable in two drills, cameras, toothbrushes and batteries in 6V lamps, flashlights, TV, VCR, DVD, stereo controllers, phones, smoke sensors, CO sensors, tape machines, radios, GPS, 5mile talkers, 2 mile talkers. I've got lots of battery operated stuff and lots of batteries in the refrig and I manage very well. I remember when the only things that had batteries were cars, tractors, and flashlights (maybe 1 or 2 for the father) and the lights were kerosene. Yeah, I manage my batteries very well, seem that you can't manage your flippant mouth tho.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon
050127 0240 - George E. Cawthon posted:

Check in that section too for the solar powered flashlights...

Reply to
indago

Personally, never trusted those. We sometimes get days of gloominess before a storm, and was uneasy about having a flashlight that could 'drain' before we actually needed it.

imho,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

One of the nice things about LED lights is the relatively even illumination compared to small incandescents.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that you'd actually consider using to light a path at night?

So far, all the ones I've seen have been just toys.

Reply to
TCS

Reminds me of the commercials for hand cranked radios so you'll be ready for when we all get nuked or hit by a comet. Alkaline batteries last over 5 years. The hand crank radio costs over $100. For $50 you could by a big box of batteries and a couple of plain ol radios and have multiple redundancy if you are THAT worried about listening to the radio when the nukes/comets hits.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Not in my Costco! I can't remember ever seeing a solar flashlight.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Actually there are and it has been discussed at length in some other groups. I think Luxeon has been mentioned but don't know what model. It's all in the reflector and apparently they cost about #30. Costco has a two package that looks good but I have no idea of beam width. You are right, most LED flashlights look rather cheap.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

It's right next to the solar night light and the one station intercom.

Reply to
TCS

Any decent camping / outdoors store (REI, etc.) will have a good selection...mostly of the headlamp variety. I have one made by Black Diamond that's at least 3 years old, and still works great for nighttime trail running. I would assume the newer models are even better.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites, you could adjust the beam-width.

David

Reply to
David Combs

There are. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."

Reply to
Drifter

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in news:cvg1eu$ifu$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.panix.com:

You can buy drop in replacements for 2 cell AA Maglites that have a 1 W Luxeon LED,very bright. About $30 online,check Ebay. I've heard Costco was selling a pair of 1W Luxeon 2-AA flashlights for the same price,but couldn't find them at my local CC.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've got several LED lights. My 2AA minimag conversion is by

and cost me about $28. Worth every penny, in not blowing out bulbs. It is limited, it isn't as bright, and no where near as focussed. But it gets me in and out of cellars, and some odd places.

Fire up Ebay, and see what you can find. I got one that takes three AA batteries, and has six LED, of which four work. Ah, well. Not worth sending it back. Too long for my pocket, so I crammed it into my Tul Bukt, where it gets used once in awhile. You can get something for under twenty bucks, with shipping and all.

Now, if you want a "No battery" model, that doesn't exist. They all have a battery of some form, even if it's a nicad with a solar charger or crank charger. Yes, saw solar and or crank units on Ebay, too.

Most LED, you can not adjust the width of the beam. Some of the replacement bulbs for PR bulbs might be an exception if you put it in a Mag light, like a 3D cell or 3C cell model.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Never say something doesn't exist unless you're talking about temporal time sifters. No battery models example:

it says, no battery, no nicads, just a moving magnet through a coil of wire and some circuitry to charge a capacitor to power the LED. Got one in all the cars so I don't have to worry about batteries leaking or not having enough charge.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

Side Emitter EverLED? is a solid state flashlight bulb that replaces traditional incandescent PR-flange bulbs in most common flashlights, but do better with the adjustable focus types such as MAGLITE® flashlights. The EverLED? uses the latest LED technology and an efficient electronic circuit to provide an ordinary flashlight with impact resistant, long life, bright light. Because of the advanced LuxDrive? circuitry contained within the housing, this one bulb can be used in 1, 2, 3, 4,

5, or even 6 cell flashlights made by most any companies, including MAGLITE® flashlights. EverLED? uses a top quality Luxeon LED Emitter as it's light source! $40.00

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

And of course, sharper image would never sell something that doesn't work worth a damn just because it's technology driven.. (hint hint ionic breeze hint hint).

I'd go crazy if I had to shake a flashlight every 20-30 seconds. Frankly I'd rather do 15 minutes at work, get this miracle substance called money, and buy batteries and be able to use a flashlight for 6 hours without having to shake the damn thing every 20-30 seconds.

Reply to
TCS