Car rear window washer

I suspect this is hopeless but thought I'd ask.

Rear window washer on 2012 Nissan Versa doesn't spray water. I can hear pump motor run. Windshield washers work fine. I'm told both get water from same tank. I cleared out hole in outlet over the window. I'm left thinking it's a clogged line between water tank or pump and outlet. From what I can tell tracing the line or replacing it looks pretty hopeless if you're not very familiar with such things.

Any thoughts or live with dirty window? I'm pretty sure repair shop would charge $100+ to fix it.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

What's the temperature? Any chance that line had fluid in it w/o adequate deicer and it's just frozen?

Other than that, find pull both ends free and see if can blow it out w/ compressed air from one end or t'other...have somebody hold a finger over the opposite end or otherwise arrange to tell what happens, if anything.

After that, the two likelies are probably first a break/split, second a clog.

I've had some considerable success in finding such aracana searching u-tube--amazing what somebody has already done and taken the trouble to post. Otherwise you're at the mercy of a shop at least explaining the tube routing or showing you a service manual or buying one or just digging in...

Reply to
dpb

Ken,

It's a long way from the washer tank to the rear window. Let the pump run for a couple of minutes so that the fluid has a chance to reach the rear. If you still get nothing, you could have a bad pump, a clogged hose, or a leak. Or you may be doing something dumb, have you read the Owner's Manual?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

KenK-

I think 2012 is too new to have a clogged water line unless there was some kind of trash in your water tank. My 2006 Scion xB rear window washer still works well.

Before giving up, I would look for two solenoid valves that control flow to front and rear rear windows. They might be located near the pump, which you can hear running. The rear valve may be defective or have a loose electrical connection. That would also be a good place to look for a disconnected tube.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

On 01/09/2015 12:01 PM, KenK wrote: ...

An additional thought...did you check the actual year/model owner's manual to ensure that's really so??? Maybe it's as simple as the teller was wrong...

Reply to
dpb

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Haven't located the line.

Reply to
KenK

dpb wrote in news:m8p6pm$b0f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Nope. Hasn't worked since I bough the car used about eight months ago.

Haven't located the line at the tank - it's buried far under much other stuff under the hood.

Reply to
KenK

"David Martel" wrote in news:m8p6ua$bil$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Tried that.

Didn't see anything helpful.

Reply to
KenK

Fred McKenzie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com:

Will look again when the weather gets nice. I'm afraid it is too buried though.

Reply to
KenK

There are a lot of car forums online that are model specific with a lot of shared info. One of them might be of help. Or googling for "nissan rear window washer", etc.

Reply to
trader_4

I presume it's the hatchback model you're talking about? If so, its shop manual chapter covering the front and rear wipers can be found here:

It shows how to access and replace the rear washer tube and nozzle.

ProTip: if you own a car, try to get your hands on the manufacturer's shop manual for your specific make and year. Also, look for owner forums online for that specific model. Those are your two best free resources for troubleshooting and advice.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If your car has a leak, look for a stain on the headliner that is the color of your washer fluid. That will tell you where it is.

If there is no stain there is a chance the line is plugged.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

My chevy van has one washer bottle but has 2 pumps.

The rear washer quit working.

I couldhear the pump run, but no fluid.

found the rear pumps motor ran but it produced no fluid.......

new pump fixed it

Reply to
bob haller

Hmmm, If pump is running for sure, I'd check the spray nozzle first. Poke it with fine piano wire or needle.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, Damaged line on a 2012, couple year old car? Unlikely.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Did he disappear? He should send you a bottle of scotch for that.... I'm amazed at all the car repair stuff that's out there online, posted, for free or being sold for a few bucks. IDK how they get away with it, you'd think the owners would go after them. Especially on Ebay. I see guys selling BMW service manuals on CD, that appear to be from BMW all over the place for peanuts. Recently I learned there are guys in Romania and similar selling the dealer PC based diagnostic software too that lets you read, program all the computers on the car.....

Reply to
trader_4

Moe DeLoughan wrote in news:m96n6g$om2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I DLed your link and printed out the rear window washer info. I've not read it yet but hope to do so this weekend. Thanks much.

If one knows how to use Google efectively it's amazing what's available!

Reply to
KenK