Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

I have read that rock salt works, so that is an option which might be less harmful to the environment than diesel fuel.

I've never used rock salt before, so I'd have to research how to use it on plants.

Reply to
Danny D.

I did do the research! :)

This scientific site says it lasts 100 years!

Here's the verbatim quote from that San Francisco State web site: "What is amazing is specimens 100 years old have been known to cause dermatitis in humans, because urushiol is a relatively stable compound, and can remain potent for years in the absence of oxidation (Armstrong & Epstein 1995)."

I would think that, outdoors, exposed to the elements, the urushiol would only be allergenic to humans for something on the order of perhaps only 5 or 10 years, but, the point is that the oil from Toxicodendron diversilobum will last far longer than we'd like it to.

The verbatim statement from that web site below leads me to conjure the thought that this single plant on my property can infect every single person on earth, since it was literally dripping drops of sap within a few minutes of cutting the plant! "Urushiol is so incredibly toxic that it would take only one ounce of it to affect everyone on the earth with a rash (Brooks 2001)."

Reply to
Danny D.

I like the idea of rock salt as it must be cheaper than the $100 containers of weed killer that I'm buying today (2.5 gallons each).

This web site explains the NaCl concentration for weed killer:
While the NaCl appears to be effective, that page also outlines the major problem when it's applied on a hillside where my plant resides.

Plus, I still need to manually remove the dead plants, which are (almost) as toxic dead as they were alive - at least for the foreseeable future.

Reply to
Danny D.

That's an interesting and clever idea!

But, at this point, I'm not goating there!

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

tethered?

Reply to
Robert Macy

I agree, wouldn't want to horn in...

Reply to
Larry W

Did you mark the bins so the disposal guys will be aware of the danger?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You might try a sprayer intended for fruit trees; long snorkel.

Reply to
krw

Have you tried 2,4D? It works on my poison ivy.

Reply to
Frank

Hey, let me know if you need a top poster to goat (goad) you on. Ha, ha!

As to applying salt. I think the choices include to dissolve in water and spray, or to sprinkle it on the ground. Poultices are too much work, and it's not alcohol soluoble enough to make tinctures. I'd think sprinkling on the ground at the base of the plants. With the size of your infestation, you may need a snow thrower to distribute the salt pellets. We can safely rule out IM or IV inejctions.

.

That's an interesting and clever idea!

But, at this point, I'm not goating there!

:)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

At the same moment, we had the same idea to teher. (sorry, not funny.)

We'd come up with an idea. One, or t'ether.

.

tethered?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

cut the vines where you can reach and paint the cut surfaces with roundup.

Reply to
chaniarts

here in phx, they spray olive trees to prevent flowering. they use what looks like truck mounted pressure sprayers with a very long hose and wand so they can reach the top of the trees some 20-40' up.

Reply to
chaniarts

I'd bite, but chewed not like what I had to say. It would be baaaad.

We have a problem in the USA, when we have goat naught better to do but oak around on usenet.

.

I agree, wouldn't want to horn in...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

it can also sterilize the soil so you won't be able to plant anything. furthermore, when it rains, everything downhill may also go.

Reply to
chaniarts

careful, wmd searchers are currently on the way. watch for the black helicopters.

Reply to
chaniarts

I remember reading that Danny did mark the bins. And the trash pickup guys refused the bins.

Just imagine the pickup guys coming down with wicked poison oak, and not knowing why.

Can we donate that stuff to the military, and they can spray it on the enemy a couple days before ground invasions? Just think if we sprayed Mogadishu before the "Blackhawk Down" invasion that went so badly wrong. All those skinnies home, itching instead of shooting at the Rangers.

.

Did you mark the bins so the disposal guys will be aware of the danger?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Agent Orange, there you go! ;-)

Poison Ivy is better killed with a "wooded plant" herbicide. 2,4D probably qualifies, though there are several sold these days.

Reply to
krw

Perzactly. I've seen them used on apple trees, too.

Reply to
krw

I wonder if a backpack sprayer would do the job?

Less efficient, but a pressurized water fire extinguisher has some range.
've owned several of these, over the years. 20 foot horizontal range is possible.

.