Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

Got a URL? No, I've never heard of that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's where midnight basketball comes in. With kareoke, and pig roast.

I'm sure other things will come to mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

how to get even with your neighbor:

find a road kill deer and put it beside his house then call authorities for unpermitted deer kill in possession

find a dead skunk and put it into his trash can

call authorities that he is burying dead animals in his yard (they might dig it all up) (that happened to my bro in law)

call authority's that he has a pot grow operation in his house

call authorities that he has unlicensed explosives in the house and might be a terrorist

call authorities that he has un permitted internal remodeling in the house

call authorities that he is dumping motor oil in a hole in the yard

call authorities that he is making meth and put a small anhydrous tank along the home with a few ephedra pills next to it

call ATF that he has illegal automatic weapons in the house

bob urz

Stormin Mormon top-posted:

No, it was in Atlanta. It was easier for me to move away. After they had sprayed their lawn (and mine) with a "diluted" defoliant to "make mowing easier."

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Each agency _will_ have a record on file of every complaint. FOIF request should work.

Of course the simple way is for you to quit that idiotic schlepping of gas cans and great wasting of time.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What do guys like landscapers that have several cans of gas on their trucks do when they cross a state line everyday? Dump it all out? Geez...

Reply to
trader4

Likely Doug the landscapers incursions into another state is statistical noise. But there are reporting requirements even if you transport fuel in the vehicles fuel tank in commercial use.

The organization that handles it is IFTA:

Our former governor was a big proponent of handing all of the Interstates over to the massively bureaucratic overfilled with political appointments turnpike commission. He constantly made the false claim that out of state trucks were not paying road use tax. If you are even a small trucking company you must file an IFTA return that lists all of the states you operated in and the mileage and remit the tax. So say you filled up a truck in NY and drove across NJ, PA and OH. Even though you didn't purchase fuel there you would need to pay road use tax to NJ, PA and OH (and get a credit for fuel you didn't use in NY)

Reply to
George

More nonsense. A neighbor sees someone storing large quantities of gasoline near his home. The guy has a 55 gallon drum, a pump and is regularly transporting around 10 five gallon cans of gasoline. He doesn't know exactly what the neighbor is doing, but from what he can see there is reasonable cause for concern. So the neighbor calls code and environmental officials to check it out.

I'd like to see a judge that is going to decide that constitutes harrassment. If the neighbor had a pattern of false accusations, contacting the authorities on various issues that were bogus, then he would have a case for harrassment. But all we have here is a neighbor that is concerned about storing large quantities of gas in a residential neighborhood where it could impact his home. He calls the authorities and says "My neighbor is storing what looks like large quantities of gasoline on his property. He has a 55 gallon drum, he's pumping it, etc. Is that allowed in a residential neighborhood? Can you check it out?" I might have done the same thing. It's all true and doesn't come close to harrassment.

As for getting fingerprints off documents and forensic labs for this kind of nonsense, you've been watching too much TV.

Sure, I can see a judge granting a subpoena for someone's private phone records for a nonsense case like this. Get real.

Oh yeah, I can see the DA getting all over this. Mr. DA, I've been storing large quantities of gas on my property, pumping it, cans etc. Some unknown neighbor called code and environmental officials. That's harrassment! I want you to subpoena my neighbors phone records, cell records, etc. Maybe they should waterboard them too. The DA would throw you out of his office.

So, if I call code enforcement for the town and they say it doesn't violate zoning, then I can't also call the fire marshall to see if there is a fire safety issue? I can't call the EPA to see if there is an environmental restriction that could cover what he is doing?

Only if it's extensive or the allegations are lies. All I see here is a neighbor with a legitimate safety concern who ran the concern through multiple agency that have legitimate involvement with the issue.

As for the OP, as some folks have suggested, he should make his insurance company aware of what he's doing. I'd send them a letter. And even then, how about this. Some vandal decides to use one of his 5 gallon cans to set the whole thing on fire. The resulting fire kills two people living next door and leaves a third disabled for life. Unlike your subpoena for harrassment, that case is real. And how long do you think it would take a jury to decide that the OP was responsible for a whole host of reasons. Everything from maintaining an extreme hazard on his property, to no properly securing it, etc? And when they get a $10 million judgement, then what?

Reply to
trader4

>> Most guys siphon from the car to the boat -- gas is usually cheaper on

Bernie Ward

Back in the 60's my parents house was in a suberb of a large city, and there were several gas stations located 3 and more blocks away. All the homes were located downhill from these gas stations. Everyone in the neighborhood began smelling gasoline in their basements and the fire dept was called. It was determined there was a leaking underground gas tank at one of the stations. My parents only had a floor drain in the basement, connected to the city sewers. Other houses in the neighborhood has sump pumps. ALL of them were getting gasoline vapors in the houses. Seems the homes near the bottom of the hill were getting it the worst.

The gas station was shut down and had to dig up the tank immediately, the fire dept was overloaded with trying to put fans in the homes with the worst vapors and telling the others to leave basement windows opened (fortunately it occurred during the warm weather season). This could have been a real disaster.

I'll go on to mention that about 10 to 15 years later, as regulations got tougher, that gas station was town down and the entire lot, plus some neighboring land was dug up to a depth of 30 or 40 feet, to remove all the contaminated soil. Then it was refilled with clean soil. I was told that the contaminated soil was hauled to a place where they burn this soil in some sort of furnace before they use it as fill somewhere else.

Reply to
jw

There are a lot of good reasons not to transport & then store gasoline at home for sure.

Valid reasons NOT to transport & store gasoline in legal amounts:

  • Dangerous (for all)
  • Tedious (for some)
  • Cost savings are probably around zero over time (multiple things considered)

Some potential reasons to transport & store gasoline in legal amounts:

  • The wife loves not having to fill up (& hates anyone touching her car)
  • It's convenient for me also (I don't mind what others invariablly seem to consider too much effort)
  • The additional danger 'can' be managed

:)

Reply to
worker bee

Not having to go to the gas station ever again is one of the great appeals of all-electric cars. These days, going to the gas station is a big drag.

Reply to
dsi1

I hate filling my own tank, especially in the winter. I don't know which is worse though. If I had a stupid Volt, I'd have to plug it in every night, then plug it in every day at work. So, it is easier to fill with gas once a week or plug and unplug 10 to 12 times a week?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know electric heat is more expensive than fuel heat (at least in NYS). I'm guessing electric travel is more expensive. And then, the question of how many miles on a fill up, and how expensive the batteries when they die. With all those concerns, I'll stick with gasoline or diesel vehicles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's the miles range on the volt? 40 or so per charge? A loser, compared to gasoline.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

???how is going to the gas station a big drag "these days" as opposed to doing the same thing years ago? I see no difference today from 50 years ago except that now I have to pump my own gas.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Now days, I can stick in my credit card, and not even have to go in. Which is nice, considering some stores have one door going in, and one to go out. To get in and out, you have to walk through the entire store.

And Gomer Pyle doesn't come out and tell me Goober says hey.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We once had a fire started near our garage by an unknwon arsonist. The fire threatened two homes [ours & adjoining neighbor's] took out two buildings [including our garage] and three trees 40+ ft high trees with trunks so big two people would have to join arms to surround the trunks. The flames were 60 to 80 feet in the air and photos made national coverage. The fire was so involved one could easily get 3rd degree burns being near it. In other words, BIG FIRE! Inside the garage on a shelf was a metal, federally approved, 5 gallon gasoline container half full of petrol. The car in the garage was totaled, the paint all over the can burnt black and peeled off, but that can, and its contents, remained intact! The firemen were VERY skittish about its presence. So now I'm convinced to ALWAYS buy and use METAL fuel storage containers, those things work!

Footnote on the garage damage the garage was originally built for Model T, pre code construction, all redwood. The fire damaged the building so much it was of cousre condemned as dangerous, labeled such and the cost/burden to destroy the structure fell upon me. I hired a worker skilled at demolition and it took him TWO DAYS to dismantle the building, it was holding together that well. Probably could have simply shingled over the roof and used it for another 80 years. Oh well.

Reply to
Robert Macy

How about we just use induction charging. You just park over the pad and you get out of the car and do nothing. Would that work? =E2=9A=A1=F0=9F= =9A=97

Reply to
dsi1

Heating stuff by running electricity through some wire is not an efficient way to produce heat. It's more efficient to use the electricity to run electric motors in a heat pump. At least, that's the way we heat water in our building. Burning fuel in an internal combustion engine is not an efficient way to produce rotary motion. Isn't most of it wasted heat?

Reply to
dsi1