Interesting story about home automobile gasoline filling stations in residential property

I'm getting older.

Reply to
dsi1

"worker bee" wrote in message news:jbc1vg$ebv$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org...

Years ago, I had house that backed up to a drainage easment (i.e., an open ditch). As it turned out, I owned both side of the easment (ditch). The easment was lined with rip-rap. When I got the house, the neighbor behind me routinely weed wacked the ditch. I decided that I wanted to plant trees to shade out the easment. So, I bought a buch of trees and planted them on both sides of the ditch. Of course this meant the guy had to stop weed wacking the ditch. Meanwhile, I also fenced in my backyard, The fenced in area did not include the ditch. I got all the proper permits for the fence. As it turns out, the house next to me on one side was very close to my property line and in fact most of their "backyard" was actually my backyard becasue of the way their house was located on the property (it was corner lot and the house was angled to face the intersection and pushed way back on the lot). So, once I built the fence, they essentially had no backyard. Shorthly after building the fence, I got a letter from the city telling me I had to clean up the ditch, or they would do it for me and charge me $300. I immeadiately called down and asked for an explanation. They said they had a complaint. I asked under what ordinance they were threatening me. They sent me a book with the infomration. It was clear I was not in violation (wooded areas, flood plains and drainage easements were specifically exempt from the particular ordinace cited). I expalined this to the burecrat in charge. They said it didn't matter and that if I didn't want to have them clean it up, I would need to present my case to the city council. I said no problem, I'd be happy to. The fact was, this same drainage easment (ditch) went throughout the sub-division and only one hudred yards or so wasn't wooded. I was just updating my portion to be a wooded area. I assumed that I would be notified when I needed to appears and that I would have time to prepare my case. Ha! I was called the next day and said I need to come to the council meeting that night. I complained that I need time to prepare my slides (I planned to present the ordinates on a slide, with the exemptions and pictures of the easement in other parts of the sub-division.). Finally a somewhat friendlier bureacrat said she would remove my name from the council schedule and round file the complaint. As long as they didn't get another call, I was OK. Apparently they never did get another call becasue I never had to do anything. If you go by that house today, It has a nice wooded area in the rear with a variety of interesting trees that looks a heck of a lot better than a rock lined ditch.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Do you mean 'Will it work?" -- or 'will it work for Ed?'?

I just saw this this morning on ZDNet-

Commercial tests of a couple different systems will start in 2012.

So apparently it *will* work. It would work for me. Can't speak for Ed.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My guess is that it could be anyone that lives near you doing this. Just be glad the person or persons responsible ain't doing anything really awful. Maybe they're just interested in the safety of your neighborhood. This seems reasonable and responsible to me. Forget about it.

Reply to
dsi1

You got me... I deliberately left it ambiguous because I'm making an effort to not sound like a sarcastic asshole all the time. How am I doing? (-:

Reply to
dsi1

They can embed induction coils in the roadways so you can charge your cars while driving too. I'd like to see gasoline cars do that! No seriously... I'd like to be able to gas up my car while driving. That would be pretty damn exciting!

Reply to
dsi1

ZDNet-

I think we get those 5 years after the too-cheap to meter nuclear power plant generated electricity is used to power heating elements in the roads to thaw any snow that falls on them.

Just buy a tanker truck and the parts used for air-to-air refueling and put it all together.

Reply to
Brent

That sure gives me a warm feeling. I doubt it will ever work. Think of the EMF needed. Wipe out every floppy disk for miles around, and every cassette tape, or reel to reel tape.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Right on both counts. Would be nice to use the wasted engine heat to warm buildings, after running the steam turbine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You should be careful, leaving yourself open with straight lines like that. I'm really tempted. Honest, I am!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The military has that option on some air planes. I know, I saw it in a movie once. Iron Eagle, was it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My Oral-B electric toothbrush uses inductive charging. It works.

--Vic.

Reply to
Vic Smith

How about hanging up your key ring, or putting it in your pocket? Pain in the ass, ain't it? You don't have to plug your Volt in at work. If your work round trip is beyond the the Volt range, you have choices without plugging in at work.

  1. Don't buy a Volt.
  2. Let the IC engine kick in for part of the trip.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

People thought N. Tesla was crazy too. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

Actually, I could go for a baba and nappy right now. You ain't got nothing over me!

Reply to
dsi1

Yes. It is called plonk.com. I've been tolerating you long enough now, as you occasionally have something relevant to post. And you even took your religious sig line off. However, if you fail to see the offensiveness of top posting your few word ootsie cutesie responses followed by an unsnipped

200 line conversation, there is no hope for you.

I refuse to read anything you have to post from now on.

You may leave now.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No, that was "Transformers V: Revenge of the Hand-Held Devices."

Reply to
dsi1

Lead us not into temptation...

Reply to
dsi1

ZDNet-

Induction charging is only efficient if the gap between the charger and the charged device is very small or the frequency is very high.

Reply to
clare