How much are you really paying for electricity?

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:01a5824b-f6e2-4a39-9c0e- snipped-for-privacy@i2g2000vbv.googlegroups.com:

LOL! No, but the utility has to buy your kWh from somewhere (if you specify another company), or generate them (if you don't).

Reply to
Han

...or generate it all, sell it to the other company (on paper, of course) and then deliver it to me.

Since many of these "other companies" simply buy the energy that they sell on the wholesale market, the same utility that delivers it to me may have the best wholesale prices at any given time.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you can tell because they taste differently

Reply to
chaniarts

I have bought many items off Ebay. Sometimes I see an item I am interested for say - $20 with free shipping. Another seller may list exactly the same item for $.01 but charge $19.99 for shipping. If you bought the item for $.01, do you actually believe you didn't pay $20. What comes out of your pocket is what comes out your pocket. Don't psych yourself or pretend it is only numerical semantics.

Reply to
Edge

I never said - and would never say - that I didn't pay $20.

I specifically added the asterisks around the words *for the item*.

If I paid $20 with free shipping, then I paid $20 *for the item*.

If I paid $.01 with $19.99 for shipping, then I paid $.01 *for the item* and $19.99 for shipping.

You paid $0.06968 *for the item* - a kWh.

The rest of your cost was for the delivery of said item.

You did not pay $0.149 for the kWh which is why that price was not what was listed on your bill.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Same where I live. I can buy my electricity and gas from a few different suppliers, but it always gets delivered by the lone utility company in the area.

No one has ever been able to explain to me how they know which kWh hours are mine so that the ones I'm paying for end up in my panel. Are they bar coded or something?

No. Your name is assigned to the kWh as they come tumbling out of the generator. It's one of those things about electricity -- it has to be used the instant its generated - no exceptions. It sure keeps the folks at the power house busy making and keeping track of those assignments, however.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

You could save a great deal of money by picking up your electricity at the generating station.

On second thought, probably not.

Reply to
HeyBub

Lot of farmers do that.

.

You could save a great deal of money by picking up your electricity at the generating station.

On second thought, probably not.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They get about as much compliance as the assault weapon registration days?

.

In California, when you file your state income tax there's a section to voluntarily state the amount of purchases you have made through tax free outlets and you are then required to pay the sales tax for all those items.

...STOP LAUGHING!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Our rates change with the seasons, summer tacks on extra as you go over some set amount, then there is a winter rate that remains fixed and spring and fall rates. Soon we are to get smart meters then there will be extra charges during peak use hours in the summer. Some day I'm going to get around to putting the kil-a-watt on the big screen and try to determine what that thing actually costs to run 24/7.

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

Which is really only useful information if we know where you live.

Which appears to be in (or near) Purchase, NY (in Westchester County).

Reply to
Home Guy

Why would we laugh? Many states do essentially the same thing. In NY they call it a "Use Tax". It's for items that, for example, you bought on the internet and didn't pay taxes on. NY actually makes it easy on you by "suggesting" an amount based on the data in your return. You have the option to change it or leave it as it is. Of course, if you get audited, you'd have to explain the amount used.

Last year, I was helping my college-age daughter do her taxes. She made less than $3000 and the software package I used suggested $8 as the Use Tax. Since most of what she bought was over the internet, I just left it alone.

A few days after filing, I got a notice that NYS found an error on her return. They set the Use Tax to $0 and increased her refund by $8.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Here is a copy of my bill from Dec 13th to Feb 13th

Ontario Canada. Basically a CDN Dollar is equal to a US Dollar these days.

HST is a 13% sales tax Ontario Clean Energy Benefit is a Government refund for using Solar or Wind, basically buying votes Debt Retirement charge is to help the Utility pay off all the money it borrowed from the Government to build 5 nuclear power plants.

Off peak is electricity used from 7 pm to 7 am weekdays and all day/night weekends

Mid peak is 11am to 5pm weekdays

On peak is 7am to 11am and 5pm to 7pm Weekdays

My house is two adults and 1 baby, 1700 sq feet 1967 side-split bungalow with gas dryer/gas stove oven/gas furance/ gas water heater

-------- Your Electricity Charges

OFF Peak @ 6.2¢ 943.64 kwhr $58.51 MID Peak @ 9.2¢ 192.07 kwhr $17.67 ON Peak @ 10.8¢ 250.78 kwhr $27.08 Delivery Charge $62.30 Regulatory Charge $9.54 Debt Retirement Charge 1,320.62 kwhr $9.24 Total Electricity Charges $184.34 HST $23.96 Subtotal $208.30 Ontario Clean Energy Benefit (-10%) 20.83CR

Region Water Charges (Residential) Service Charge mtr size 20 MM $44.64 Consumption Charge 31.00 cubic metres $56.87 Total Halton Region Water Charges $101.51

Reply to
Duesenberg

"Use" tax originated as the means to recover taxes from nominally tax-exempt transactions that are taxable. An example would be a stationary store's use of a ream of paper. Normally the paper is exempt from taxes because it is taxed at sale. Since the store *used* it, it's no longer exempt, so is taxed. A sale in another state can't be taxed but its *USE* within the state can. So, if you buy an item in Vegas, and it stays in Vegas, there is no tax in your state. If you bring it home and USE it, then it is taxed.

Reply to
krw

I should add that we had blower issues with our furance and had to run the blower 24/7 for about 2 weeks which drove up our bill about $20 and we had to heat our home with a bunch of 1500 Watt electric heaters for 3 days which prolly added about $15 to our bill. Our normal winter bill is about $170.00

Reply to
Duesenberg

Central Colorado WW

Reply to
WW

Ah, another spectacular failure of ip-2-location (which located you based on the headquarters of the real owners of your ISP).

Reply to
Home Guy

Same in pa.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

.1597 total here in CT. That is actually down a bit from last year. My generation rate right now is .0798. A couple of year ago, the power company rate was much higher and I was almost 20¢ total.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That line item has been on the PA tax return as long as I can remember. On occasion they have been known to obtain audit information from other states and send out letters.

Reply to
George