What are you paying for heating oil?

With price cap contract and 10 cents a gallon discount for automatic credit card payment, today's oil delivery was still $2.89/gal here in northern DE. Just wonder if we are being gouged and wonder what others are paying. Frank

Reply to
Frank

Hi Frank,

Earlier this month, I paid 75.9 cents per litre. There are 3.78 litres in a U.S. gallon (in another thread I had mistakenly said

3.76), so that works out to be $2.87 per gallon, before taxes and in Canadian funds. When you factor in currency exchange, the final number is approximately $2.43 per gallon.

My previous fill-up in early September was at $2.62 per gallon and prior to that it was $2.69 (in U.S. dollars).

Natural gas and heating oil futures have been climbing with this recent cold weather. Yesterday, heating oil gained almost nine cents per gallon and so far today, it's trading up another 2.4 cents. If your distributor will be replenishing his inventory at these higher prices, some of that additional cost will likely to be passed on to you now.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Your are not being gouged, you are being taken for a wild ride and screwed with no lubricant.

I just paid 1.929 for COD here in northeast CT. A local place where I work in MA is 2.269. In September, the dealer I had been using offered a contract with a price of 2.75. I thought it was high and declined it. Glad I did.

Best price I found is an outfit out of PA that covers PA, NJ, CT, RI, MA Dollarwise Oil. They have a web page,

but the price was lower when I called. Delivery was through a local dealer so I guess they have a network of some sort to handle actual delivery for them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Virginia, $2.449.

What I don't understand is why #2 diesel is the same or cheaper at the pump. I thought heating oil was cheaper because it's untaxed.

Does anyone know if heating oil is cheaper in the summer? I'm at the point where I might squeeze by with what's left in the tank. Then I could rebuild the tank base while it's empty (it's sitting on cinder blocks right now) and refill in the off-season. Or I could call for a refill today and enjoy the heat.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I see that they quote $2.019 for my area. Did check with neighbor who gets more oil than us and he's also paying through the nose from another large local company. My wife does not want to separate oil purchase from burner and ac contractor. I know a lot of these small gypsies are cheaper but we got badly burned by a bad furnace installation several years ago and have stayed with this premium dealer. Planted the seed with my wife, that next year we tell dealer we are going out of town for the winter and maybe get the cheaper source for our oil then.

Frank

Reply to
frank.logullo

Around here, diesel was more, but I've not noticed it lately,. Tax is the big difference, but diesel now has to be low sulpur to meet emissions standars in cars.

Over the years, summer prices for heating oil can be much lower, but 2006 was an exception. The lowest price of the season was the past week, about

15¢ less than it was this past summer. I don't ever remember that in the 25 years I've been using oil for heat. Highest prices are usually January and February when demand is the highest. Low oil prices and mild temperature gave us a bit advantage right now. Considering past long term history versus the past two months, I'd say it is a crap shoot.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's untaxed, but, heating oil is #1 diesel which is higher.

Reply to
Steve Barker

-rev I wouldn't recommend letting your tank get that low. There is usually some sludge in the bottom which could get into the furnace.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I partly agree with your wife, but how much of a premium are you willing to pay? For a number of years I used the same dealer with automatic delivery, budget payments over 11 months, it was all nice and easy. I paid a premium of about 10¢ over the 800 gallon a year I use. When the premium became 75¢ on the newly offered contract, I said "no thanks" and moved on.

Another reason I changed was the contract last year was for 750 gallons price protected, but only from 9/1 to 4/15. During that time, they delivered

500 gallons, then they filled my tank on 4/20 at a higher price since the contract was expired. That pissed me off. My delivery on Monday was 160 gallons. Do the math. I'll take my chances with an independent.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Upstate NY, near Albany- $2.70/gallon last week. [Last year they were .30 lower]

I was offered a 'budget' price of $2.94 last June. [the year before I was offered a budget price of $2.00, but I had to buy 600 gallons up front. I've never used more than 450 gallons, so I turned it down. Last year I only used 270 gallons, so I got a bargain by refusing the budget 2 yrs in a row.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Will this help?

I use propane and the new supplier said there is a penalty if I use less than 1,000 gallons a year..Kinda puts a crimp in the conserving to save money ideas!! If I use less fuel then I have to give My savings to them!!So at least some of My work spent weatherizing is going in their pocket..I do'nt remember how much of a penalty tho,,should check on that,,I spose conserving is still worth it to keep demand/prices a bit lower for Everyone..Weatherizing will mean less wear n tear on the heating system too I guess.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Makes me glad to use gas. I only pay for what I use, not store.

Since I also supplement my heating with wood the local utility doesn't get very much at all. But if and when I need it, it is readily available.

Reply to
Jim

Wife moving on this and our supplier will drop 50 cents/gal off next delivery. When contract ends in spring, we're going elsewhere. I don't mind a small premium but this was outrageous coupled with the price cap contract.

Wife still wants full service provider and hopes to get contract with no price cap and oil payment cod next season.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Just got fuel oil last week at $1.969 per gallon. I had been paying $2.199 per gallon in October.

Reply to
Willshak

Next season will be interesting. The dealers also got caught with the price of oil dropping. It is lower now than it was all summer so everyone anticipated very high prices in mid-winter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski