Diesel Fuel in Heating Oil Furnace

Is there any reason not to put #2 diesel fuel in a heating oil furnace for someone who has locked in a very high heating oil price with his provider? Could pay a gas station ab out $3.50/gal versus a locked in price over $4.50 (I stupidly locked in in July)

Reply to
google

Great idea! I don't see why not, it's the same fuel, one has die, one doesn't. Don't feel bad, your not the only one. I'm at 4.69, did mine 3rd week in July.....

Reply to
Brian V

Diesel has some additives that #2 does not have but it should burn OK. In parts of Europe, the cost is the same for diesel and #2 oil and they buy diesel all the time.. Rather than carry home hundreds of gallons, consider having a different oil company do a delivery or two.

I read that some dealers are letting people out of the lock if they pay a penalty since the dealer is also locked in to his supplier.

I know someone that is locked in at $4.59.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Folks around here (Maine) that are locked in at the higher prices are buying from other smaller Oil companies and paying cash thus getting a discount as well..I read an artical in the paper about nobody ordering oil through the contract price and the oil companies being stuck with the useless contracts. The guys that pre-paid ARE SCREWED......

Reply to
benick

Die? Dead fuel? I hope you meant "dye"? Well, Halloween is close. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

When heating oil is cheaper than diesel, sneaky truck driver will run their trucks on it. That's the reason for the red dye in the diesel fuel. When The DOT inspects a truck, the inspector may look at the color of the fuel to determine if the trucker is trying to avoid the over the road fuel taxes.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Opposite. The heating oil is dyed. My delivery slip reads: Dyed unmarked heating oil: not for use in highway or non-highway, locomotive or marine engines.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You can do this but unless you have prepaid why not just by on the open market at today's prices. I just bought 1000 gallons at 2.799/gal. Why pay the tax on road fue?

Reply to
Boden

die: cease to live dye: coloring agent used to change the color of a product

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As I understand it (not being a truck driver) the red dye is in the heating oil. I've bought red kerosene, before.

Anyhow, diesel fuel should work just fine in a home heating plant. I've put diesel fuel in a friend's heating oil tank when he ran out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most folks own their own fuel tank. So, it seems possible to get a different supplier to deliver fuel to the tank. And you're correct, that would avoid the road fuel taxes. What is a "road fue"?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wouldn't lock in a price unless it dropped with the price. Locking in to me is to prevent price increases not price decreases. If the price drops below the lock in price there is no reason at all they can't give you the lower price unless they are flat out criminals.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

What if you add more colors and make it black?

Reply to
Claude Hopper

That's the tax man's rule. Most people say screw the tax man.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

I did the pre-buy at $4.779. My contract states that there is a penalty if I buy from any other supplier. The fuel company says that they bought a quantity of fuel at the high price to cover the contacts and they would lose money if they didn't sell it. I assume that I am stuck.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Ever understood a futures contract?

Reply to
Boden

well i guess they'd have to prove you bought it elsewhere. and if you bring home 10 gallons at a time and dump it in, then how the hell they gonna know you didn't just turn your thermostat down?

---MIKE---

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

any dye in a truck tank and it's a violation. Road taxed fuel is near clear or a slight yellow/green tint.

Steve Barker DLT

tell the airlines that.

ha ha ha is what they'd say. we wish..

Steve Barker DLT