How much are you really paying for electricity?

They also have to swap out meters on a regular schedule by law here in NJ. I'm not sure how the gas repair/replacement costs compare to the electric utilities. On the one hand they are a lot less susceptable to damage from storms and the like. On the other hand the repair work would seem to be a lot more involved, ie excavating, pavement, etc compared to areas where electric utilities are run on poles above ground. I would expect that for gas, the overall repair costs are less.

You also have to factor in the cost of the distribution system that is in place. They still have to depreciate it, cover any debt that was taken out to install it, etc.

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:356dc96e- snipped-for-privacy@r27g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

That's interesting. I have asked several times to get my gas meter (which is inside in the basement) replaced with an outside meter here in the PSE&G area. They've always said that I would have to pay for a new meter. And I've said no, thanks.

Do you have a reference to that law or rule?

I'd venture to guess that maintenance for underground services is in the long run less than overhead service. However, the initial investment is much higher, even in densely populated areas such as the boro of Fair Lawn. We have had 3 or 4 major electric outages of roughly 24 or more hours in the last 2 or 3 years. All due to storms knocking down wires.

I pay a service charge of $5.99/month, and then a "distribution charge" and "balancing charge" that go per "therm". These 3 are the delivery charges. Together they are just under half of the total charges for gas service.

Reply to
Han

Can't help you with that. I do know that NJ Nat Gas swapped mine out maybe 8 years ago. I recall receiving some notice that it was due and required. I don't think that is going to have anything to do with getting your meter relocated outside. Swapping a meter is loosening two unions and takes 10 mins. Moving a meter outside to a new location, that's a bit different.

All these utilities have to cover their costs one way or another. I still skeptical of the poster claiming there was a $25 per month charge for rental of an electric meter. Especially since he won't tell us the utility name, because he thinks we're somehow going to use that for identity theft. Go figure.

Reply to
trader4

It cold also be charges for processing the bill or paying off bonds used to build the original infrastructure. There are many sources of fixed costs.

Reply to
krw

thank you for demonstrating your lack of self-control. Please do feel to continue demonstrating how well I own you

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Good Lord, it's amazing how often you advertise your zero IQ.

Reply to
krw

if you were twice as smart as you hope you are, you'd still be the same aspiring idiot

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

...and you revert back to IKWYABWAI. Shoulda known. You don't have any other tricks, other than your sister.

Reply to
krw

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

You must be a public school kid.

Reply to
krw

Thank you. I do enjoy your sense of humor. Now roll over and beg some more

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Such originality, Malodorous.

[...]

15:32:29 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"