Home defense. Buckshot vs. birdshot

There's research out there that says bad guys practice a lot. You might not want to count on them missing.

The same research says they have decided whether to shoot or flee long before doing the crime, and don't get slowed down by a decision tree. When you don't expect to die of old age anyway, some things get easier.

Reply to
TimR

Here's a link to an article that describes the FBI report.

TimR

The main thing is the mind set. A bad guy does not care, he just shoots and walks away. Does not matter if the shooting is justified or not. The good guy, especially cops, know how much paper work, the press will show him to be the wrongful shooter, his job is on the line. He has to think if it is worth it to shoot someone. They often get put on leave and it takes a month or more to sort things out.

When one only has less than a second to decide,but takes several to make the actual decision, he will come out as the looser in most cases.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

According to LEOKA, of the 72 officers killed in 2011, 17 fired their weapon.

Reply to
TimR

I personally believe that a handgun is a mandatory piece of gear for a surv ival situation. But it has to be stored properly. I keep mine locked and lo aded, safety on. But I have no children around to worry about. Here are som e good places to consider -

n-storage/ . My father keeps hist XD40 under the mattress loaded with empt y chamber and extra full mag. He states that a gun should never be further than an arms length away while in home. I'm sure he is right.

Reply to
tetianashpek

For most people, I think that is a good way to have an accident.

Reply to
Bill

yeah, those empty chambers are real scary!

Reply to
Taxed and Spent